51

My heart was still racing from kissing Grant. As I stayed close behind him, I could audibly hear myself breathing fast. We heard footsteps staggering their way closer to us from around the corner. Grant put his arm out behind him to shield me and I grabbed onto him. We came around the corner together, expecting the worst. My mind was reeling, so it took me a few extra seconds for my brain to focus on what was in front of my face.

It was Cal. At first I almost didn't recognize her. She was dirty and both knees were dripping blood down her legs. Her hair was piled in a messy knot at the back of her head. The expression on her face was a mixture of fear and utter anger. She charged at us full force, stopping only a few inches away once she realized it was us.

"Cal!" I screamed, and shoved past Grant.

"Oh, Ryleigh!" she cried and collapsed in my arms.

I stared up at Grant with shock. Cal had completely gone limp in my arms as though she could barely move. Grant ran to her other side and she hobbled along with us. We went to the back of the cabin and helped her sit down on the ground. I sat down next to her as Grant stood above us with a concerned look on his face.

"I'm going to go...check over by the water. Stay here?" he asked me and I nodded in response.

As Grant went to see if the canoe was gone by the water, I studied Cal.

"Are you okay?" I asked her softly.

She had her eyes closed and was rubbing her head.

"This is just much harder than I expected, you know? I don't think I can do this much longer," she told me harshly.

I reached over and squeezed her hand. "You won't have to. Will and Beth - we found them - they're going for help. Gina and Dean are gone. They took the boat and left and from what we can tell, they were in a real hurry. But, there was also a small canoe. Will took Beth with him and they're going to call the police. They'll get us help. We'll be rescued soon."

Her brow furrowed deeply and she shook her head. "What do you mean they left?"

"Well, they didn't really leave. They went for help," I told her.

"No, not Will and Beth!" she spat. "Gina and Dean!"

I flinched. "Oh, them. I don't know...Grant and I got here and the cabin was just a total mess. Things are thrown all over the place and most of their stuff is gone. The boat is gone. So we're just assuming-"

"Of course they left!" she sighed.

"I don't blame you for being upset. Grant and I were pretty mad, too. But, you know what honestly helped? Knowing we're going home soon! Don't you want to be rescued?" I said softly.

She blinked a few times before looking over at me. Her face softened a little.

"What? Oh, yeah, of course! Rescued!" she said.

"This will all be over and we can go home to our families..." I began.

"Yeah," she said dreamily. "I want to go home. I can't wait to see my mom and my little sister."

She smiled brightly at me.

"Your mom and your sister-" I started to say, but she reached over and hugged me.

I wrapped my arms around her, thankful to have my friend back.

Grant came jogging up to us and crouched down next to me.