Chapter 10

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 10

He arrived and slapped the parking break in position, jumped out of the car, and activated its security system.  Xavier was running on pure adrenaline at that point.  He hoped that his instincts were right and that Denton’s wife was indeed a patient.

“Excuse me?”  He asked as he reached the nurse’s desk in the ER.  “Can you please tell me if you have a patient by the name of Rebecca Denton?”

“I’m sorry Sir but I can’t divulge that information,” the young blonde fluttered her eyelashes at him.

It was comical to him seeing as she looked more like she had something stuck in her eye rather than the fact she had just flirted with him.

“Xav?”  He heard.

His smile took over his face as he turned, recognizing the voice.  He wondered if he’d get to see her.  His job at acquiring the necessary information was about to get even easier and he had his beautiful woman to thank for that.

She walked out of a patient’s cubicle and saw Xavier talking to Lucy, the cute young blonde at the front desk.  He had a look of confusion and irritation cross his face as he listened to what Lucy was telling him.

“Xav?”  Mika heard herself say after she took in Lucy making her best googly eyes at her beau.

She managed to stifle the giggle that wanted to erupt and judging by his irritated look, her guess must have been because Lucy wasn’t helping him out with what he needed.

Without any acknowledgement to Lucy’s advance, Xavier walked the few steps in Mika’s direction and smiled at her.

“Mind helping me out with the resistance I’m getting?”  He asked her.

“For a price,” she blurted out, faster than she could block the words.

Well there goes professionalism!  She thought to herself as he leaned in and kissed her cheek, letting his lips linger on her skin longer than any casual greeting would normally take.

“How’s that for payment?” He whispered in her ear before pulling away and smiling charmingly.

“G-good,” she cleared the frog that had suddenly found its way in her throat and proceeded.  “What will you need Detective?”

“I need to know if there’s a patient by the name of Rebecca Denton here at the hospital,” he asked.

“I thought you dealt with homicides?”  She arched her eyebrows and crossed her arms at her chest.  “Last I checked, her husband and not she was dead.”

“I know.  I have the task to…  Is she aware of anything that’s happened?”  He asked.

Mika shook her head.

“She’s been sleeping mostly thanks to the pain meds,” she divulged.  “Let me get her chart.”

She walked behind the ER greeting station and to the trolley filled with patient charts that were filed alphabetically by last name and pulled out the binder she was looking for.

Xavier watched as she stood there in her high heels and lab coat.  If he thought she was delectable in scrubs, she was quite the heated number in that black pencil skirt, light pink blouse and heels.  He wondered what had made her dress that way today seeing as he had only seen her in her scrubs.  He was sure that he wasn’t the only male in the place that appreciated the sight of her long slender legs.  He instantly found himself shaking the thought of other men ogling her out of his mind as fast as the thoughts had occurred.