Chapter 23

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 23

Connor had showed up almost immediately when Xavier had called him.  He could tell that his best friend was in trouble just by the tone of his voice.  Whatever it was, he knew that tone of urgency.

What troubled him was that it sounded more personal than professional.  He was hoping that nothing had happened between Xav and Mika.  It had been the first time he had seen his friend that happy in years.

He arrived at the house and let himself in after knocking.

“Xav?”

“In the kitchen,” he called out.

Connor walked on through and found the both of them sitting at the table and an envelope of some sort between them.

“What’s going on?”

“We need your help on something,” he watched as his best friend and his new fiancée exchanged a look.

“I get that but why so grim?”

Xavier didn’t quite know where to start.  So he went with the very obvious, stating that Mika was at the very center of their case.

Connor had looked confused and had that duh expression on his face like he sometimes does.  His friend and colleague understood more as to what they were heading into when he pushed the yellow manila envelope across the table to him.

“Look at them,” he said tight-lipped.

“What are they?”  Connor asked.

“Photos,” Mika answered and avoided his inquiring gaze.

What the fuck is this?  Connor thought as he leafed through each and every photograph.

He looked up at Xavier and then Mika who still wouldn’t return his gaze.  He dropped the evidence to the table-top and clasped his hands.  His gut felt heavy with dread as he began to wring his fingers.

“Connor, I called you because Mika’s told me the story which we’ll let you in on in just a minute.  What I need to know is what you think right off the bat after seeing those,” Xavier asked him.

“What I think?  What I think is that she’s guilty as fuck!”  He exclaimed and got up as his palms slammed down on the table making Mika jump in her seat.  “What the fuck is going on?  For Christ’s sake Xavier, you and I cleared her.  Why do these photos exist and how the hell did you get them?”

“I brought them to Xavier,” Mika told him.

“So you’ve slept with these guys?”  Connor questioned.

“Not all of them,” she said in a soft and demeaned tone.

“What the hell were you doing with them then?”  He asked her and then saw Xavier shake his head.

“This isn’t an interrogation Connor.  I needed backup for something related to these photos.  We just thought that you should have all the facts before you make a decision to help us or not,” Xavier explained to him.

“Then give me all of the facts dammit!”

Mika never expected that the fun-loving Connor could ever be this callous and void of any and every emotion but rage.  He was utterly terrifying her.  So much so that she couldn’t bring herself to explain any of the day’s events.  Xavier had to take over and repeat what she had told him.