Chapter 24

© Carey MacLean, 2012

Chapter 24

Not knowing what state Xavier was going to end up being in, Connor had refused the alcoholic beverage.  It only encouraged his best friend to drink his first drink faster and pop the top of the second one within the first five minutes.

Needless to say, Connor was relieved when the second one lasted his friend for nearly an hour and he hadn’t gone to fetch another.  He had never pegged Xavier for that much of a drinker and after so many years of hanging around with the man, he was glad that on one of Xavier’s worst days, he hadn’t proven him wrong of that old observation.

“She’s stopped moving,” Xavier motioned to his screen.

Connor triangulated the area her beacons had stopped at and used his program to locate the exact address.

“It’s a house,” he told Xavier.

“I know.”

With a knot in her chest and her stomach churning, Mika gathered up the last remnants of her nerves and pushed the rage she had been feeling throughout the length of her drive to the forefront.  She grabbed her purse and a couple of bags from the passenger seat, locked up the car and walked up to the front steps.  There were a few things she had to take care of as soon as possible and she hoped that she’d be able to pull them off.

When her foot landed on the top step, the door opened and there stood the man of the hour, all smiles and a sinister look in his eyes.

Please don’t let this all be a mistake, she prayed and pushed the chill that threatened to give her fear away back down.

“I see you’ve reached a decision and one that pleases me at that,” Makey told her allowing her entrance to the house.

He attempted to kiss her cheek but she recoiled.  Taking her few bags and setting them down after closing the door, he grabbed her waist and pulled her to him.

“Let’s try that again, shall we?”  He leaned in for her lips this time and at the last minute, she turned her head and he got her cheek.

She heard him grumble but he never pushed for more.  Instead, he nodded toward her bags.

“Is that all you have?”

“The rest is in the car.”

“I’ll help you out with that after I get back from work.  There seems to be an emergency I have to handle.  I expect you to stay inside the house and be here when I get back.  The phones and computers have been password protected so don’t you think about pulling anything my little minx,” he rambled on.  “I should be back in time for lunch and then I’m all yours Baby.”

She shuddered internally at the not so subtle innuendo of his last statement.

“Now, give me your cellphone,” he stated and held his hand out.

“What?  No!”

“Mika,” he warned with a stern and dark tone.

“It’s my work phone.  If the hospital calls, I need to be able to answer,” she protested.

“That’s fine.  I’ll hand it to my assistant.  She can take the calls and call you right away on this,” he presented her with a new phone.  “It only works for incoming calls in case you’re wondering.”

“Are you fucking kidding me?”

“No Sweetheart.  I’m not kidding you.  You’re mine and until you realize it, I’m not taking any chances,” he stated, bent over to grab her purse and rummaged through it to grab the device.  She was glad she had packed away the tracker and other treasures in her bags and not her purse.  “Now, kiss me and see me off like the good woman I know you will be.”