Chapter Fourteen: Secret

"I can't believe you're not done with that yet." Abby mutters, flipping through the channels on my TV.

"I'm almost done with the blueprints." I announce.

"And then you're done?"

"Yes." I laugh.

"You've been working on that for how many years?"

"Three." I shrug.

"Three years." She lets out a low whistle. "And, just out of curiosity, what happens when you have to have a house built for a family? Will it take you three years to draw up the plans?"

I scowl at her. "No. This one is taking me so long because it's my dream home."

"Whatever." She says. Her phone chimes and her attention drops to the screen.

"Is it your Mom again?" I ask.

"No, it's Grandma."

I sigh quietly.

"And what does she want?"

"She wants to know if you're going to go to the reunion."

I sigh.

"Abby, I already told you-"

"I know what you told me." She cuts me off. "But I'm telling you that your parents won't be there. It's not like your Mom's family is coming, just your Dad's. Nobody has seen you since the wedding, and you didn't really talk to anybody."

"Well I know that, but..." I trail off. "I've never even been to Wilmington before."

"Wilmington is really pretty." She insists. "Come on Grace, it's just one day. Plus, you and Danny don't work on weekends. We can get a hotel or stay at Grandma's."

"I'll talk to Danny." I mutter, putting the finishing touches to Danny and I's future waterfront home blueprints.

"Well do it now because the reunion is tomorrow at noon, which means we have to leave at like, six in the morning."

I glance at the time on my cable box.

8:52PM

I pick up my phone and message my boyfriend.

Me: I need to talk to you

His reply is instant.

Danny: lucky for you, I'm at your door

I hear him unlocking the door with his key and then he walks into the house and shuts the door.

Pepper springs up from her spot next to me on the couch and greets Danny.

He ruffles her ears and walks over to me, bending down to give me a kiss.

"So what do we have to talk about?" He asks.

"Do you have plans tomorrow?" I ask.

"I don't know. Do I?" He smiles and I can't help but smile back. He's so cute.

"Well we have this family reunion thing..." I trail off.

"I thought you said you weren't going?" He asks.

"Well..." I trail off. "I don't know. We don't have to go."

"I think you should go." Abby pipes up.

Danny crouches in front of me.

"I think you should go." He says.

"Well if you're not going, neither am I."