Section Three - Melody

After three months of pleading, John had confirmation from the police that they would not be conducting an investigation of any sort. To the authorities, it was not a priority. There was no murderer. How did they know this? Easy. Because of the suicide note.

Anyone who knows John Smith, whether it is personally or through business, even just from serving him at the local supermarket, knows of his determination. He’s something of an object of fame for it. So, despite the lack of interest and involvement from the government, he came to a conclusion. In this situation, John figured that it was best if he himself became the detective of this ‘crime’. The police supported this decision, mainly because it didn’t involve them. But who better to help him than his brother’s girlfriend, one of the few people who knew anything about Ethan Smith at all.

My boyfriend was no MI5 agent. No Military Intelligence agent of any kind for that matter. Or anything with ‘intelligence’ in its name. Sometimes with twins there is one smarter than the other. And in this case, John inherited the brains. While he aced top-notch university exams with ease and flying colours, his brother, while less academically successful, was much more creative. He was friendly and more approachable than his counterpart, although I suppose that it’s always easy to look charming compared to someone who operates like a computer - impartially, with no emotional involvement. This was the man I fell in love with, and he returned all my sentiment. He may also have been the only one that John really cared for.

So, John Smith was investigating his death? Any potential suspects had better watch out or at least have the full set of documents ready to prove their innocence. I could even be on the list – that’s the problem with mental lists. It’s hard to tell if you’re on them.

I sat down, folding my hands behind my back and twisting my engagement ring around and around as John pulled up an Internet search. My eyes watched his fingers type, so fast that I couldn’t decipher the words until my eyes flickered up to the screen. “Recent suicides.” I read aloud. “You really think you can solve this thing? Is there anything to solve?” I moved closer to him, almost exasperated. “John, you saw the note. There’s nothing left to prove!”

John raised his eyebrows at my exclamation. “Why would Ethan commit suicide, Melody? What was his motive? You don’t just quit on your life like that!” My comment had angered him.

        “But… well, the note said…”

        “The note said a lot of things, Melody, and lately I’ve been doubting the candourof them. He wouldn’t cheat on you, he loved you and he was engaged for goodness sake. Also, this financial crisis thing… his last painting sold for almost twice what we expected, and he knows that he could always come to me for money. And…” I waited impatiently for his next comment. When he spoke, his voice was softer, with much less force behind it: “He never wrote in green pen, Mel, because… because it reminded him of Nan.” Nan was Ethan’s grandmother who had passed away five years ago. It was an incredibly hard period for him to go through - she was one of the most important people in his life.

“John, if you’re still having problems adjusting, we could go back to the psychiatrist-“ He waved my suggestion away with his hand, sighing, but all the while never taking his eyes of the computer screen or his other hand off the mouse.

“Melody, we both know that they waved a watch in front of my face to ‘calm my mind’. Here, look at this.” He moved over so that I could see the screen better. Apparently, five suicides that didn’t make sense in accordance with the victims’ lives at the time had occurred in the last three years in this general area. John moved the curser to click on the first hit. I got up and moved over to the kitchen area to distract myself; I didn’t have the stomach for all this. John was going to try and confront the murderer? When would he see that the suicide note made sense?

John came over to join me, breathing on my neck as my shaking hands strived to make a cup of tea. “We need to investigate, Melody. We at least need to try. I can’t just let Ethan go without a fight, I’m not a quitter.” He sounded so broken, so unlike his strong, normal self. What could I do except comply with his wishes?