Section Seven - Melody

Relaxing and doing nothing in particular as I lay on my bed staring up on the ceiling, I was startled when the doorbell rang although I was more startled when I found out who had rung it.  John Smith stood wearing grey coat and a blank expression, on the threshold that, should one cross over it, lead into my flat.

My ex-fiancé’s brother walked into my tiny apartment and perched on the bed. Even though it makes me feel quite cowardly, I have to admit that this made me nervous. Isn’t everyone when their boss comes to visit them personally?

John sighed - a long sad sigh that gave me an insight into what he was thinking. “This is about Ethan, isn’t it?” His forlorn, broken face confirmed my suspicions.

“I just can’t help thinking about how I’ve failed him Melody. My prime suspect for the crime is Helen, but she has no motive and those were her parents that were murdered.” He placed his head in his hands, a single, shining tear rolling down his cheek. “Why can’t I solve this stupid case?” He shifted about uncomfortably on the mattress, like the princess in ‘The Princess and the Pea’.

Seeing how upset he was, I took action. “Come on John, it’s not all bad, lets write down what we already know - you’ll figure the answer out yet.” My voice was doing its level best to sound enthusiastic as I brought over a pen and paper from my desk.

“Thanks,” he said, wiping his eyes vigorously. He drew a title and then stared at it thoughtfully, a new light in his eyes, a new idea in his mind. Letting him have a moment of grief and weakness, I turned away in a hasty attempt to tidy up my bedroom. Two minutes later, I glanced back to lay my eyes on the small sheet of paper in surprise, for it was almost entirely full. Crossing back towards him, at the other end of the room I took it from his hand and began to read, aghast.

“Case against Melody Griffin for the murder of Ethan Smith, Tania Holden and as the prime suspect of the murder of Stefan Holden.” I stared at him, a shocked expression etched onto my face however he simply motioned to the paper as if urging me to read on. “Point One: Trying to dissuade me against investigating. Point Two: Knowing where the drinks cabinet was in the Holden’s house. Point Three: always writing in the same colour pen as the suicide notes were written in (dark forest green). And Point Four: The Diary of a Murderess.” What? From behind his back, he pulled out the red leather-bound diary full of neat green writing that I’d hidden underneath my mattress. My old name, as well as the two that I’d ‘borrowed’ were written inside the cover: Casey O’ Hara, Johanna Adair and finally…  Melody Griffin.

The book was open at one page - Ethan’s page. John, with a breaking voice, read aloud the tale of his brother’s demise as written by my flowing hand.