Section Eight - The Suicide Note Writer

Ethan came home one night to my house, when I wasn’t expecting him. I had the two phones in my hand, one Stefan’s and one his wife’s.  I stared at a photo in Stefan’s gallery - the younger version of myself looking wild and desperate with my hair still tangled from the sea breeze felt like a reflection although I had grown into my murdering shoes now. Just one more person left. This move had taken some weeks. John Smith was a busy man, so engulfed in his work that he hardly had time for anything else. Yet how to get close to him if he didn’t have a social life? Well, his brother sure had one.

Yet something unplanned happened. During the weeks of getting to know Ethan, I started to fall in love with him. Unexpectedly and suddenly, I found we were engaged. That I was happy with this arrangement. It healed the hole that had been created by Sam, my brother’s death, the hole that had sucked all the emotion out of me. My heart started to thaw. I saw a future with Ethan despite the fact that I had never thought my life was worth living.

Yet he came round early and caught me off guard. He saw my photo on one phone, the texts on the other and made the connection, displaying my secret identity, ulterior motives and true character once and for all. My boyfriend started towards the door, to tell the police of my crimes, how despicable I was.

He never made it to the door. I loved Ethan, but my secret identity was something that I could never risk. It linked me to too many memories and too many crimes. Ethan’s suicide was the hardest to fake, for I kept crying over the letter, and, my teardrops smudging the forest green pen, having to begin again.”