Patch up

Geet looked up at the ceiling quietly. It was already 2 in the morning but she could not sleep. Next to her Naintara was already snoring deeply. Geet looked at her for few moments and then looked back up. May be I was too harsh, she thought. But she had only planned the ink and oil, the hand incident happened by itself. He had angrily left the hall after it. I will apologize to him tomorrow. She decided. Baba ji please don't let him be too angry.

......

Later on the day

The bride was ready. The hall was ready. Everyone was ready. Geet was ready too. She looked at the small box in her hand. It was a gift for him. Given the seriousness of situation, she had brought him something from heart.

She waited for the barat to enter the hall. The barat was outside for past one hour, the bridegroom's friends and family were doing bhangra outside. Geet wanted to go join them but obviously she was from girl's side. Although, di who was hanging from the window in the small dressing room reserved for bride, seemed to want to go down too.

Geet leaned forward and peeked out of the window. Wow, dev jijju really know how to do bhangara and look, her besharam had joined him. Both brothers were dancing mindlessly to the music. She wished she had money to throw down at them. He looked good in a simple black shalwar suit, usually he wore jeans and shirts. At that moment, someone started to play the song ''tenu suit suit karda''. She agreed wholeheartedly.

Naintara let out a dreamy smile, dressed in bridal red she looked beautiful,'' geet your jijju is so handsome.''

Geet,'' No, di your jijju is really gorgeous one.'' He reminded her of a black ghulab jamin at the moment. She just wanted to ....er...she needed to listen to bhajans. She looked up and said sorry baba ji.

..............................

Geet moved past him for the tenth time but he didn't look up from his mobile phone. She pouted. What was so important on his mobile?

Maan finished sending the message and then, climbed up to the stage. His dad was waiting for him, '' Maan everything alright?''

Maan,'' yes, dad. I was just checking about the reception function.''

Gurmaan nodded,'' Make sure there isn't any problem. I have spoken to organisers too. I want this function to be remembered.''

Maan nodded. He looked at Dev who was sitting on stage,'' should we start the pheras first? We are getting behind the schedule.''

Gurmaan,'' let me check with dar ji.''

................................

Geet sat down on chair as she watched her ghulab jamin going here and there but not sparing her a glance. She looked at the box in her hand sadly.

Amma ji,'' geet what are you doing here sitting? Pheras are about to start, go get Naintara.''

Geet nodded and left.

.......................

Geet stood next to Naintara while on other side brij and his wife were standing. Everyone was teasing dev and naintara. Finally dar ji had to stop the fun and push the youngster along. Naintara put varmala and then, dev did the same.

After that there were many hugs. Geet looked at her besharm who was happily hugging dev. He knew she was standing next to di but he hadn't said anything to her or looked her way. he was really angry. Her mood suddenly saddened. she looked up, baba ji help me. A waiter held a tray in front of her at the moment with plenty of sweets. Geet, thank you baba ji, I will have one rasgulla. The waiters were serving sweets to other guest now.

Feeling energised geet decided it was too soon to be sad. She will make him talk to her.

Next pheras were done while geet threw petals on couple and she aimed a few at her besharam too. Who felt the petals falling on him but still ignored her. Instead he leaned toward his friend who took a look at him and shook his head.

After the pheras there was a short break in which girls did the jutta chapai ritual. Geet held on to the shoes. The elders had vacated the stage so the younger generation could haggle to their hearts.

Maan,'' okay tell us what you all want and we will give it.'' he started to take money out of his pocket which he had placed there for this ritual.

''We want star from the sky'', geet quipped and others started laughing on hearing it. Geetwas relaxed now that amma ji and dar ji were not here and she had decided that she will make him talk to her.

Maan's tone was serious,'' Sorry, there is one tara and my brother is taking that back with him. Anything else?''

Geet wanted to say something further but brij's wife lightly pressed geet's hand. So, geet became quiet.

..........................

Finally all the rituals were finished. Geet was standing in a corner crying as Naintara was ushered into a traditional dholi. Four men would carry it to some distance as per custom and then, she will shift into car. Geet cried as she saw brij, dar ji, her dad and then, the baker who used to keep staring at di picked the dholi up together. All of them were crying. Geet was hiding away here because she didn't like to cry in front of others.

Someone handed her tissue paper, she looked up to see her besharam standing here. She had taken off her hood as she thought everyone was gone.

Maan was angry at her but when he had seen her crying, he could not control himself and left everything to come and console her. His mobile was ringing but he ignored. He removed her tears with his hands,'' why are you crying. She wil come back to meet you tomorrow and soon you will be with her.''

Geet kept crying.

Maan,'' I will stop the barat if you kept crying and bring her back here.''

Geet looked up at him,'' No. I am just... you were not looking at me too and I will have to sleep alone now. ''

She cried further.

Maan removed her tears, '' I am not angry now. Okay.''

She nodded. They stood there together for some time slowly geet controlled herself.

Maan,'' I know how to handle your sleeping alone problem.''

Geet who was feeling mushy, suddenly glared at him, ''besharam.''

Maan laughed and teased her,'' I didn't say anything and you could sleep with amma ji. It's for few days only.''

Geet sniffed.

Maan thought to hold her hand but then didn't, his rasgulla may mind.

His phone rang again, he sighed and picked it up,'' Yes, I am coming.'' He closed the phone and told her,'' I am going now, don't cry anymore.''

Geet nodded, then asked,'' will you come tomorrow with di.''

Her eyes were still filled with unshed tears and the way she innocently asked him, Maan felt his heart beat increase but all he said was,'' yes.''

Geet nodded. She suddenly remembered her gift, she looked around and picked up the bags with her clothes and other things in it,'' here, a gift.''

Maan took the box with a frown,'' gift, why?''

Geet looked away,'' sorry about yesterday.''

Maan smiled,'' so, you realised you were wrong.''

Geet nodded.

Maan bent and whispered,'' Can I kiss you?''

Geet blushed and said,'' No.''

Maan let out a sigh,'' okay.'' his phone rang, this was not the time anyway,'' bye.''

Geet,'' bye.''

.........................

Maan was in car on his way back,but his heart was in hoshiyarpur. He wanted to go back and bring her with him. few more days he told himself. His eyes fell on the small box, he opened it, there in the centre was a small rasgulla. Maan smiled, a rasgulla as a sorry gift from his rasgulla. He picked it up and ate it in one big gulp.