The Muffin Caper - 4

Woke up in hospital, face throbbing and encased in gauze

Woke up in hospital, face throbbing and encased in gauze. Daisy was sitting there and her first words were a shot at my condition. Her next words perked me right up. Caroline had sent a retainer!

Had to stay overnight in case of concussion but doc let me out Sunday morning.

I hit Annie's place walked into a stubborn broad but I was in no mood for messing around.

We sparred for a minute or two until I let her know Billy had filled me in on the night of the raid then she began to talk. She made a mistake telling me Billy had come back the next day and kept pestering me about my face.

***************

Next I visited my new client. Sunday was a workday for the paper so I knew I'd catch her there. I barged in hoping to intimidate her into letting me set the rules and soon discovered Caroline Grace didn't intimidate.

She gave me her rules in a, no negotiation manner. To save face, I countered with the rumour CrookedSmile had given me and to my surprise it turned out to be true.

I learned my face mauling had made a couple of inches on page three, which was why she never mentioned it. We came to an agreement and she didn't waste any time seeing me out. All I could do was stand by the office door and watch her walk back to her desk.

Those seams were straight as arrows.

**************

A quick trip to The Ritzy Muffin to ask AJ a few questions and cop some muffins from Myna. Gyn and AJ insisted on a poultice for my face and I left smelling awful and looking like I was wearing a pumpkin pie.

AJ avoided answering my question about his whereabouts the night Shamus got clipped and Myna came in and sent me on my way. At least I got a bag of muffins.

Daisy wouldn't let me in her office until I washed and she had sprayed the room with lilac water. And the bag didn't have muffins . . . they were sinkers.

We discussed what I knew then she told me what she knew, which turned out to be a lot more important, so I grabbed my hat and told her I was planning on finding Lulu for a chat.

***************

Before leaving I called the paper and spoke to Will Barter. He confirmed Annie's story about the password and I made a note to check that off my list. Next was Lulu and the only lead I had to her was Billy so I cruised around until I spotted his cop car parked outside the hotel where Lorne's sister sneaked out of the night she got arrested.

I made another note to ask myself about that later.

Billy was surprised and he got out of the car so we could talk. Smith made a noise about my meddling and as I told him to close his yap I saw his fist. Billy and I talked about where Lou might be and then about his association with Annie. He told me to stop meddling and I listened hard to his voice.

No marks noticeable on his hands so I told him about his partner. He was stirred but not shaken.

***************

Lulu's car wasn't well hidden and finding her nest didn't take long. I took the elevator to her floor, watched by a lizard of an operator. The door opened when I knocked and a linebacker answered.

Lulu reined him in and invited me in. We chatted a bit then when I got into facts as I knew them, she began to clam up and before long my welcome had worn out. Cedrick, the linebacker showed me out with a definitely hungry looking smile.