x

"i leave you broken and shaking, but you still call me baby"

the team was up all night. they checked the place in fort lodge, and apparently hankle hadn't been there all night. they even checked every damn room in the building, no reid, no tobias. they returned to the hankle house to profile it, and they were there, awake, all night.

once the sun was up, hotch left to go get garcia and her equipment transferred to the hankle house. layla didn't even feel tired, she just felt numb. her best friend, her strongest confidant, the person she was starting to like even, had been taken abruptly from her.

garcia and hotch entered the house as hotch explained the importance of profiling the house to her. garcia looked around the house, seeing the team with bags under their eyes and empty coffee cups littering the floor.

"welcome to our nightmare," jj said, her voice far from joking.

"his computer is an extension of his brain. i need you to dissect it," gideon ordered garcia, who rapidly nodded.

"i'll get you set up, c'mon," morgan offered, with no pet name or joke for garcia, just further dampening the dull, hopeless mood.

derek led garcia to the computer room solemnly.

"so nothing new since i left?" hotch asked.

"well, good thing is, guy documented practically every second of his life," emily said, with an actually normal sounding voice.

she grabbed a journal and opened it to show hotch, "the bad news is, we're still unpiling."

"from the looks of it, he hasn't left this place in years," jj mused.

"he knew he could pretend to be looking for a motel and throw us off his trail," emily added, referring to what happened last night.

"no, no, no, it's more than that," gideon countered.

layla looked up at him, her head resting in her hand, propped up by the table she and jj were sitting at.

"sheriff's office, 911 calls," gideon said in response to his own comment.

"you think he was gauging response time again?" layla asked.

gideon shook his head, "every time he engages the police and gets away with it..... he reassures himself. god's on his side, not ours," he said ominously.