Chapter 12

We got out and looked at what our situation would be. When I saw the same thing as I had before I looked down.

May asked," it's going to happen again isn't it?"

"I think so"

Fitz and Simmons walked over, "here. Take these. We call them icers."

They handed me one of them.

"It's shot to disable, not to kill," said Simmons.

"Thank you."

She smiled then went back to stand next to fitz.

"Will do this again. Mays with me and Skye your with Coulson. were going to make our way down to the cell block. Once were inside you three will take up positions and shoot anything that comes inside that room."

"Alrighty you heard the man," may turned to the others," lets get a move on."

I grabbed the grappling hook and made my way toward the base. The others followed.

---

I walked into the room and headed to where they were holding James. May took her position with Coulson in the hallway. Skye went and got peggy.

When the guns started firing Skye took Peggy and hid. James and I did the same while Coulson and May retreated and hid with me.

"I'm going to kill him."

"No. That isn't what we do."

"I've done it before. One more name to my list won't kill me."

"Your a good man James. You do this and there's nothing I can do to stop SHIELD from taking you."

James stood up and held his gun out then stopped. Peggy had already beat us to the punch. She took sky's icer and shot the man that had been keep her captive.

"We need to get the hell out of here."

I pulled out my icer and handed it to James, "May and I will lead. James and Coulson you take up the rear. Skye, Peggy follow behind me."

I got up and led the way back to the room we entered in. Coulson called fitz and Simmons. Minutes later the jet appeared and the back opened. Tony was standing in his armor on the ramp with his hand out to help us. I made sure everyone got on then went to get on when the man that had kept my friends locked away for all these years fired his gun and shot me. I grabbed Tony's hand when the first shot hit my leg. I lost my balance then fell. Tony still had my hand and was laying on his to try and support the weight. I saw May run off to take control if the plane and leave. It was two late though because the man fired off three more shots. One missed completely then the other two went into my back. The impact made my body jerk and tony lost his grip and I fell. He got up and went after me. I lost consciousness when I hit the water below.

-\ TONY'S POV /-

The water was dark and cold. I spotted Steve as the lights from my suit lit up the area. When I was in reach I grabbed his chest then pulled him out of the water. May had lowered the jet and when I brought him on bored Simmons was waiting with her medical equipment.

"We need to get those bullets out and I don't have the proper equipment."

My mask lifted up,"But you can get them out?"

"Yes. But you need to restrain him.

"Please help him. I can't lose him."

I could the fear in Agent Carter's eyes as she said that.

"We need to get him the sick bay. Mr. Stark can you carry him down there for me."

I picked Steve up and followed her down to the little room. I stayed by Steve's legs and held him down. Steve's friend kept his arms down.

Simmons began to take out the bullets in Steve's back. I was supposed to see he wasn't moving. The captain was out cold.

-|-

DAYS LATER IN SHIELD HOSPITAL

-|-

Sam was sitting in the room with Steve asleep. We all needed rest. It had been a couple days of touch and go for Steve. There was still a man beneath the serum and all his upgrades that came as a result.

\- STEVE'S POV /-

Tony was standing looking into the room when I Started to wake up. I heard the album playing that Sam had told me about then turned and saw him, "on your left."

He looked at me then smiled. Tony and the others walked in.

"How are you feeling?"

"I've felt better."

I saw peggy smiling.

"I'm fine. Did you get the bullets out?"

"Simmons did her best. You've been touch and go till today," said tony.

"Well when can I go?"

Bucky walked to the rooms door, "I'll go find a nurse."

Sam got up from his chair, "Ms. you looked like you could use a cup of coffee. Let's see if the cafeteria has some."

"Alright. Thank you."

Bucky was still holding the door when the two walked out. As the door shut tony took a seat at the chair next to me.

"I'm sorry."

"Sorry for what? you were just shot. Three times and two of those shots nearly pierced your heart."

"I'm sorry about your father. I'm sorry I was the reason he was never there for you. I know there's a part of you deep down that hates me for it. for knowing your father more than you did."

"I don't..."

"You don't have to make up so excuse tony. I'd be like that two if a dead man took my father away from me."

"I was mad. But after I got that note years ago that anger. Well it just vanished. And besides your much better company than that man ever was."

We both smiled.

"I'm still sorry."

"If you don't mind me asking. When you knew my father... What was he like?"

"He was one of the two smartest men I knew at the time. He's the reason I have my shield and was one of the bravest and craziest pilots I ever knew. He was a good man and would of made an even better father if I was found sooner or never went down in the ice."

"You saved the world captain. No one, not even I can be mad at that."

"Your father was a good man and I considered him to be a good and close friend. I am also glad that he had a son and that his son would become a friend and one of my closest allies."

He smiled again.

"I mean it tony."

He nodded his head, "I know."

"I have a question for you tony."

"Alright. Shoot."

"I was going to ask peggy to marry me and I want you to be standing up there with me."

"Really. After all the shit I put you through over the past few years?"

"Yes. You, Sam and James both be up there. It's all I want. The three of you are probably my closest friends and no offense to Thor or Bruce but I don't want a fight to break out at my wedding."

"Thank you," he turned and saw peggy and Sam come back, "she back, do you want me to get her?"

"Just Sam for now."

Tony walked to the door. He took his hand off the door and turned around when he heard me start to talk, "he may not have said it but your father would be proud to see the man you've become. God knows I am."

I watched him smile then leave. A few minutes later Sam walked in.