Chapter 4

Blizzard picked at the bone of a sparrow, trying to get meat. Stone was sleeping, and Midnight lay awake, eyes tired. She looked at midnight, head tilted.

"Why aren't you asleep?" She quietly whispered, as he lifted his head up.

"Insomnia. Eventually I'll fall asleep from exhaustion, but that might be during the day." Blizzard looked at the tom.

"Whoa, that sucks. Is there anything that helps?" Midnight stretched his front legs, shrugging.

"It often just depends on whether I'm sick or not, or if I'm just in a certain mood. But it's fine, I'm so used to it that if I started to get full Nights of sleep that my days would be too short." He laughed to himself, his cough getting in between the laughs. "It isn't too big of a deal, but I guess that it would be nice to be able to feel fully rested and not sick for a start." Blizzard shifted her paws.

"And.... Why are you always sick?" Blizzard asked, curious about Midnight's backstory. Midnight set his face down on his paws, twitching his ear.

"I'm not sure. But I'm pretty weak since I usually was being battered around by other cats, and I often wouldn't get enough food. But it's fine, it's not like every cat gets enough food." Blizzard noticed that he always had those sad look in his eyes, especially he always pushed everything off. She stared at the poor cat, he must have been miserable. She pushed the rest of her bird over to the tom as his eyes got wider in surprise.

"Have the rest. You really need it." Midnight looked away.

"No, you can have the rest, it's your bird." She stared at him in awe. Whoa, why can't you just take this? She stepped closer to him, laying down.

"I don't even want the rest of it! Take it, I didn't even like it anyway." She said, hoping he would take it. She looked away, but she could tell that he was definitely taking it. She turned back around, seeing Midnight eating the rest of the bird. He paused from eating, and looked up at her and just smiled.

"Thanks."