Snow White and Rose Red Pt. 1

Three miles outside of town is where our cottage lay. After our father had passed my mother couldn't afford anything closer than that. The only jobs provided for women are at the local brothel and my mother thankfully had more dignity than that. Its just her, my twin Tristan and me. Ooooh, my beautiful brother, he is the sweetest most delicate thing you would ever meet. He is the light of my life, i would give anything to see him safe. As you could have guessed I'm the more masculine one of the bunch. Not that i look it, I'm just more capable of doing the hard labor. Tris prefers to stay with my mother and help with the cooking and cleaning, while i take care of the maintenance.

Out in front of our house there is a small garden, in the middle of which stood two rose trees, one bore petals white as snow, the other red as deep as blood. Mother told us that she had planted one for each of us when we were born, and through the years the trees had merged together into a single tree, neither could live without the other and in even with their differences they supported each other through thunder and rain, wind and snow. This became a perfect metaphor for the bond that Tris and i grew throughout the years. Together we were invincible and i wouldn't trade it for the world. However no matter how much i love tris and he loves me, we have always felt like something was missing.

I had begun to miss him, so i ventured my way through the house to find him sitting by the windowsill quietly humming to a bird that had perched on his finger. Thats another thing about him that i love is his connection to nature. Animals all over the forest flock to him, it is truly a sight to behold. I pause for a minute to admire him, and as he's stroking the back of the little blue birds head, tears slowly begin to leak out of his eyes. I rush over to him and wrap my arms around his chest from the back. The little bird flutters away in my presence and Tris turns around in my arms holding me in a death lock. I slowly sway us back and forth and nuzzle into his neck with the tip of my nose. This always gains a chuckle from him.

"Stooop, that tickles.. ha im trying to be depressed over here." he gives a watery laugh.

"Tell me what's wrong, you know i can't stand it when you're sad. Talk to me please..." i beg

"Not right now..." he sniffles

"Tris ple-"

"I..I just need a minute, soon i promise." he pulls back and just slightly presses his lips to the corner of my mouth. I run my thumbs under his eyes brushing away the tears left behind. i lean forward and press a kiss to his nose.

"Come walk through the forest with me, winter is nearing and this is the last chance to pick berries before the frost gets to them." i reach up and brush his bangs out of his face.

"What about mother, i don't want to leave her alone, she's been getting more sick recently and the temperatures haven't even started to drop." he asks squeezing my side.

"I just checked on her before i found you here, she's fast asleep, and she needs it, its good to give her a bit of quiet and let her rest...id rather not wake her up with our random fits of depression..." That gained a cheeky smile out of him. He roughly pushes my shoulder and i flinch back in mock pain, and give him the best puppy dog eyes i can muster. Honestly it just looks like constipation but it wins my loves heart over every time. He grabs my hand intertwining our fingers and pulls me off the bench. 

"Lets go you corn ball..."

_________________________________________

We laze about in the woods, stopping every few minutes to pluck some berries off a nearby bush. This is our favorite meadow, its just behind the line of trees towards the back of our property, many a times have we been caught out here taking in the scenery and watching the stars at night by the little pond. Tris loves to watch the fish dash about after the insects that lay rest on top of the waters surface.  He has been pulling away recently and i am struggling to find a reason why. I can only hope and pray i don't lose him he is all that i have left besides mother and goddess knows how much longer she can hold on. Tris wants to believe that she will get better but i already see the sings. i change her bedding and i can see the blood on her pillow cases as she coughs and hacks through the night. It's only getting worse, i just hope she will be able to make it through the winter.