In the aid

I almost tore the door from its hinges as I pulled it open and raced through into the warm air of the veterinary surgery. The warm yellow walls which held various information posters and a large TV screen meant nothing to me as looked over the seats. That's when my eyes settled on the greying man, his head hung low.

"W-where is he?!" I asked staring at Brian who was sat in the waiting room, Bailey's blue collar in his hands.

A sight that will always be scorched into my mind.

"Mina I-"

"Where Brian?! Where?!" I shouted feeling myself becoming hysterical.

I had held off all my emotions getting here, I had pushed back the pain of the stupid interview and the fact I had potentially lost Ella as my best friend and lost Zak as... As my I-don't-know-what-we-are. I could maybe recover from that, maybe. But to lose Bailey...

I spun around as a veterinary nurse held a door open and gestured for me to follow her. Her soft blue eyes and blonde hair was pinned back. Her navy scrubs brandishing the veterinary surgery logo.

I moved quickly and followed her down the corridor, passing the rows of medicine and computers which were placed on the back of the examination rooms. Past the cages of sick animals and equipment they used on a daily basis.

"Is he okay?" I asked clenching my fists, unsure if I was prepared to hear her answer.

"You won't be able to enter the room, but your mom is waiting outside. You can wait with her, if you want?" She offered.

"But-"

"It's important that the operating room is kept sterile. I understand your anguish but we can't risk any infections on open wounds."

I nodded in understanding and felt the copper taste taint my mouth. I knew I'd made my lip bleed from the excessive biting and stress of the situation.

Slipping through the double doors, I found my mom on a trio of plastic seats. Her eyes were puffy and nose was red from the continuous wiping.

"Mina." She croaked rising to her feet as I rushed to the window. By passing her completely to see what was going on in the operating room.

My eyes darted back and forth as the surgical team worked around Bailey who had a tube down his throat and tongue hung from the side of his mouth. A small screen had been set up hiding what they were doing to him, but there was blood on their latex gloves. Bailey was led on the cold stainless steel operating table, under the bright lights and surrounded by strangers all wearing masks...

My poor baby.

"What's happening? What was wrong with him?" I asked as tears blurred my vision.

"The blood tests taken revealed a high level of antifreeze in his system. Now upon speaking to your mom, we believe that he has either found antifreeze whilst out on a walk or..." she trailed off looking unsure.

"Or?" I asked looking at the nurse to elaborate.

"Or he's been given it." She finished.

My blood ran cold "N-no. No. No. W-who would do that? Why would they do that? That's evil. It's cruel!"

"It's not uncommon. Unfortunately we have seen a rise in the area."

"But why would anyone do that?!"

"Mina.." My mom spoke placing her hand on my shoulder.

"No!" I snapped making her pull her hand away as I pointed my finger at her in rage. "You! You were meant to be looking after him! Y-"