Life after Allegiant

CHAPTER 1

Tobias

I'm in the waiting room to the hospital in the compound. Tris still hasn't awoken from her coma. "You can come and see her now" the small nurse tells me. I'm not sure I want to though. I don't want to see Tris laying there pale and lifeless. I decide that I should. I walk in her room and see her sleeping. She looks insent, stern, so peaceful,

Beautiful.

I force myself over to the bed and I lace my fingers with hers. Hoping that if I squeezed hard enough she would come back.

She doesn't. She hasn't for the past month.

Cara and Christina walk in and both greet me with a hug.

"Have the doctors gave you a prognostic?" Cara asked. I wasn't in the mood to talk erudite so I just nod my head no. I just started at the floor.

Christina takes my hand and Tris's lifeless hand and intertwined them. "Don't worry," Christina says. I feel a tear escaping my eyes and taste it's saltiness as it hugs my cheek and finds it way to my lips.

"she'll have to wake up one sometime" 

I stare at the wall.

I don't want to look at Tris because the tears will start to come and I've learned that they won't stop. I just look up at Christina and smiled.

That night I fall asleep with my fingers laced with hers. It's stupid but, if she wakes up I want my hand to be in hers. I want to feel the life come back to her body, I want to feel her heat coming back and I want to be awoken with my name in her mouth. But it hasn't happened since I carried her here. I fell like a fire slowly dying in the winter. I guess a fire that burns so bright isn't meant to last long.

In the morning I am awoken not by my alarm but the door slowly creeping open. I see a dark figure come in the room. I can't really tell who since all the lights are off.

I turn them on and I see David.

I feel like my blood was replaced with electricity and Adrenaline.

With a moment's hesitation or notice I leave Tris's side and swing. My fist connects with his jaw. He looks at me with disbelief and awe. " Why on earth did you do that" he says brushing his jaw with his fingers.

I punch again. And this time it hits his nose. He looks at me like I'm some type of a psychopath.

Cara walks in seconds later and sees the blood driping from his nose. I was mid-swimg when she shouts "Stop! Four dont do that!"

"Why not he's the one who did this to Tris?!" I shout. I grab his throat and now his life is in between my grip. I throw him on the ground. "Four stop it" she says, starting to shout. "He doesn't know, his memory was erased when Tris deployed the memory virus.

I let go. Finding some pleasure that he will never be able to retrieve those memories.

"What are you doing here?!" I half shout half ask him. " I was informed that Beatrice Prior had nearly perfect genes and I would like to test her." He says smiling when he finishes. "No way, you don't get to make those decisions anymore..." I answer to quickly.

He walks towards the door and asks, " What if I fix her?..."