Chapter 3

Tris

I lay there.

All I see is white.

Is this what death feels like?

My head hurts.

I can't open my eyes.

They feel glued shut.

I get this warm fuzzy feeling.

My entire life flashes before my eyes. I see every mistake I've ever made. My mother steps foward. A white light surrounding her.

She looks angelic.

I can finally stand. I thought my mom died. I run. I missed her so much. I wrap my arms around her so tight I think I heard her sigh. She pulls away just as quickly as I brought myself into her.

"Listen to me Beatrice. You did everything you were meant to do. You are not ready to move on-"

I interrupt her. "Mom I'm not going to let you leave me again. I made a decision based on your bravery. I don't know anyone I would rather be with than you and dad."

"Beatrice, we love you so much. But you have to understand that you have so much more to accomplish. Think about Tobias. He wakes everyday to see you. He hasn't left your side ever since you were shot. You don't quite understand that it is necessary."

"Mo-"

I don't have time to finish before she starts to fade

" Mom " I shout. I scream. "I need you. I can't be alone again."

She is gone. I fall to my knees. My eyes don't feel wet. My mother was at the end of my fingertips and I let her slip away. Again. I'm too lost to cry. I bury my face to my knees. 

All I hear is my heartbeat come and go. All I feel is my chest rise and fall. And-

And I feel someone's fingers laced with mine.

My eyes stay black for at least five minutes. My eyelids slowly start to spread apart. All I can see is the white ceiling. My head starts to hurt. Christina is at my side. Cara is next to her.

My eyes are searching for something. I don't know what though. Until they lock on someone handsome. He has short-buzzed hair. Blue eyes. The shade of an ocean.

"Tobias-" I say. It sounds rough. I doesn't sound like it belongs to me.

I hear a faint cry.

It's sounds like a young man's. It's Tobias's. My Tobias.

I start to cough before I open my eyes again. I feel something wet slide up my throat. I can't control the pain. My side aches more than I could ever remember. I hear people gasp. The faint cry stops with a deep breathe in. I open my eyes to find my friends crowding over me. They hover over me in astonishment. "Tris." A familiar voice says.

"Where am I" I ask weakly.

"You were dead!" A deep voice replies.

"What are you talking about?" I snap back.

"You were shot in the side by David, Tris."

"I saw my mom." I cry. "She said I couldn't go with her. I don't want to stay here." I feel hot tears sneaking out of my eyes.

" Tris you need to rest, sleep. You will feel better tomorrow." Tobias politely remarks.

And I do.