Chapter 16 - Aftermarth

Emilio

Damn it, the apartment we were targeting was above a small grocery store. The flow of early evening customers hadn't dwindled as every ten minutes a bus pulled up. I wanted to roll in blow shit up and be back to business as usual. Regardless, the light glowing through windows wasn't enough to distinguish anything, but shapes.

"Something off about the whole situation," Enzo whispered as he scanned the street. "I swear I've seen that guy in the black bulls hat and red jacket before."

It took me a couple of seconds to find the red jacket guy, and a few more to pick the walk. Men who had served held themselves erect and walked a certain way. "Two hundred that's a piece on his left ankle?"

"Deal, send Paulie to find out," Enzo smirked as I laughed.

"Fuck you," Paulie said through the com set.

"Carmine, can you identify the guy?"
I asked as I took the time to scan the people that sat outside a cafe.

"Negative, but I got a bogey coming in at six-o-clock." We all groaned Carmine was pulling movie lines off the top of his head. And it was doing mine in. "Reminds me of one of Eva's GI Joes. He's about to round the corner at the lights to your left a blue cap, and supreme sweatshirt."

I swung the binoculars, in the direction he mentioned, and hoped he was wrong. I watched his pace slow at the lights then with the first break in the traffic. He sprinted across the road and out of my sight, but I was sure he nodded.

"Boss the door!" It all happened at once. I saw the red dot dance on the door.

"Turn the fucking laser sight off and hold your fire," I snapped the idiot would give us away. The roof door slammed open, and Dean popped out somebody's coming up the stairs.

At the same time, Paulie grumbled, "But, we got movement."

"Hold and follow," I ordered as Dean and I got into position.

"You don't tell me what to do. I'm next in line," Paulie barked as the footsteps sounded nearer.

"Francesca is! She decides who it is not you. So until then shut the fuck up." The com set went crazy as Paulie got razzed. "All of you!"

The door nudged open a fraction as a voice called, "My names Chad, I'm from Night intelligence."

The tension mounted as I became puzzled. I didn't hire them, and I wasn't sure if Kayde did as I said, "Toss your weapons through the door. Then come out slow."

The door squeaked as Chad pushed with his shoulder while a gun was placed onto the ground. It slid along the concrete and then a knife and two stun grenades. "Mr Mancini, nice to see you again."

"Why are you here?"

"Two of my targets are in that building."

"Jesus, Emilio get a load of this shit!" Enzo exclaimed as a car screeched as I jogged to the ledge.

I pulled the com out off my ear as the noise was too distracting as I caught sight off  two men bundled into a van. "Who was that?"

"I can't say," Chad met my furious gaze, and the bastard appeared grim. "I'm sorry for your loss."

"My loss, I haven't lost anyone! Quit with riddles and spit it out!" The fine thread that held me together unravelled. The gun pointed at his head as I snarled, "Who fucking hired you?"

The fucker didn't blink or move an inch. "I can't—"

"The company has you on retainer you had better give me something." I almost fired the gun to emphasise the point.

"A contingency plan was in place for events such as these, and only one person could activate it." Chad's hands slipped into his pockets. Something unrecognisable flashed within his eyes while an eyebrow twitched.

"Shit," Dean said as he scratched his beard. "What you want me to do with him E?"

"Christ, you're a fucking idiot sometimes. Do absolutely nothing." The bite in the breeze wasn't as intolerable as chatting with Chad because I wasn't buying. I didn't hallucinate? I wasn't grieving either I saw Evangelina in Russia. "Where the fuck is she?"

"I have no idea who you're referring to Mr Mancini." There was no emotion in his tone, which surprised me. However, it was the way his eyes bored into mine that made me believe otherwise. "I'm needed elsewhere at present, and you shouldn't be here at all."

A quick nod towards Enzo had him handing Chad's weapons over while Dean moved closer to the stair rail. "It's Carmine and Paulie."

"I would prefer you and associates left now while it's safe," Chad said as he murmured into his wrist. "You have five minutes before the police arrive."

"I'll visit soon," I said as we sped down the stairs and met Paulie and Carmine halfway. Paulie went to continue upwards when I latched onto his arm. "What's up there is my business. Take one more step, and I'll fucking throw you downstairs."

Christ, why did the Bettini's always test me? Enzo crowded Paulie while my hand clamped around the back off his neck. One squeeze and he roared as I applied pressure as I shoved him towards the banister. Enzo pushed the top half over. Paulie screamed as I scooped his legs up and let go.

However, much I wanted to look on as he fell headfirst, I couldn't as we tore down the last two floors. I removed my piece and screwed the silencer onto it. I fired two rounds into his back, and one to the head as Carmine took his phone and billfold.

I pulled the other gun from the ankle holster then gave it to Carmine. He wiped it off before swapping them out. Dean held the rear door ajar as we strolled out and hurried towards the car.

Nobody said a word, which I was grateful for as I tried to clear my mind. Evangelina was at the forefront as my fingers curled into a fist and I pummelled the glove box. A strangled sound filled the cabin as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"E, are you ok?" Carmine asked with caution as his eyes flitted between the men in the back seat.

"Chad—"

The Glock appeared in my hand out of nowhere aimed towards Dean. "Repeat anything you heard, and it will be the last thing you ever do."

Dean gulped as I turned around to face the road as I took in the broken dashboard. What Chad hinted at didn't need repeating as I resolved to search for Evangelina. Then glue the little firecracker to my side. But for now, I would settle for the route maker in front of me.

That was the latest chapter hope you enjoyed reading if you did please vote. Comment and share until next time stay safe.