Chapter 21 - You Have No Choice

Sorry for the wait sometimes life swamps us and it also took many rewrites. Shout out to @Matidachuru5 this chapter is for you because of your uplifting comments.

Evangelina

An uneasiness had settled within as I hobbled through the corridor towards the walkway. I blinked as shouting and several shots echoed throughout the warehouse.

"Stay out of sight." Vazken then jogged onto the walkway and fired five rounds into the roof. I moved closer to the doorway to assess the situation.

Emilio slid in front of me, blocking the partial view. Emilio's sea-green eyes flashed as they collided with mine and a hand cupped my cheek. "Let the AP deal with that. It's obvious you need rest."

All too aware of how my heart thundered under Emilio's touch as I moved away.  His hand dropped to his side as I shook my head and winced. Nobody can change that much as my gaze narrowed on Emilio because I didn't trust him. I huffed and chewed on my lip as Kayde came to an abrupt halt.

"Hey, I um have an idea how to get Danny out of Chicago and smooth things over with the disciples."

It took me a moment to absorb what Kayde said since he spoke so rapidly.

Emilio growled, "Not, now, Kayde."

"Who or what is a disciple, and why wasn't Daniel sent to Telese?" I glanced between them as Kayde's expression became darker.

"Danny can't stay here, E."

"I know that, but I can't get him near an airport without alerting the feds or squirts enemies."

Emilio's anger bubbled under the surface as I zeroed in on pulse in his neck throbbing. I took offence to the insinuation that everything was my fault because this time it wasn't. A frustrated rage I hadn't know in years rears its head as I struggled to contain it.

"Did it slip your mind that they tried to kill you? And turned your home into a pile of match sticks!" His jaw dropped for a second as each word spewed forth as my finger stabs his chest. "What's happening it's generational, they want proxies. People who they can control."

Emilio pushed my hand away as his eyes flicked towards Kayde the conflict evident. "I agree because Tiny pointed out that I'm the only one without a partner or kids."

"That's absurd Kayde!"

I snorted then took a calming breath while Emilio shoved his hand into his pants pockets. His head tilted as he towered over me. "The Camorra will protect them so long as the women don't go day-tripping to Rome, again. They are safe, but Daniel isn't."

"The body in Rome—"

"Like Stefano and Alfonso, he was a causality of war," I snarled and stood my ground not giving an inch. It was time Emilio understood I would ice anyone in my way. Nobody was safe. Shit, I murdered the man I thought was my father. It had destroyed an intricate part of me as I took a step closer to him.

The barrel of the gun pressed upward into his chest the click of the safety sounded. Emilio's eyes flashed I couldn't place the emotion. "Tell the rest of your cousins to go home or die. Not one is collecting the bounty."