Chapter Nine

NINE 

Our first staff meeting was pretty dull, which was appropriate-it was also the first of December, and the weather was definitely dull. Blake sat at the head of the table, looking a little uncomfortable at occupying the spot Mr. Carlsen had held for so many years. I think we each felt awkward in our own way. 

Blake looked at the agenda sheet in front of him and cleared his throat. "Okay, let's get started. Minutes from the last meeting? Well, half the staff was either let go or resigned, and we were left to pick up the pieces. But the donuts were good." 

"Donuts? There were donuts?" I searched my memory banks. I recalled no such thing. 

"You left before Mr. Carlsen pulled them out," Melanie explained. "I think he was trying to soften the blow." 

"My blows didn't get softened," I said. "I didn't get donuts."  

"Um, back to business." Blake cleared his throat. "Mr. Carlsen left me a pretty extensive to-do list. First item for today: budget cuts. The library will now be opening an hour later each day, and closing an hour earlier as well." 

"So those of us who remain are making less money," I said. Things were just getting worse and worse. I felt like someone had chased me up a tree and was throwing rocks at me. 

"I'm sorry to say, yes," Blake said. "We also have to cancel our janitorial contract, so it looks like we'll be picking up the slack on that as well." 

"Janitorial? Like, cleaning?" Melanie asked. I could almost hear her brain imploding. 

"We'll make it work. I dibs dusting the top shelves, 'cause I don't think either of you could reach them." Blake smiled, but I wasn't amused. That left baseboards and floor vents to me, the short one. 

"Melanie, you'll keep manning the circulation desk. Addie, I'm putting you in charge of the inventory-just give us our assignments. I'll cover whatever needs doing until you get here from school. In the meantime, we'll need to track our closing-down progress for the library board." 

"Speaking of the library board, why haven't they been in here to talk to us?" I leaned forward and put my elbows on the table. "Seems to me, they should have been the ones to break the news instead of sending Mr. Carlsen to deal with it alone."  

"I don't know. Maybe they're too busy meeting with the architects for the new building," Blake said. 

"Or maybe they're chicken, 'cause they know Addie's mad," Melanie suggested. 

"I'm sure that's it." I could just picture it-a whole council of grown-ups running from one ticked-off junior librarian. Our tax dollars at work. 

Blake stood up. "Well, that was the quickest staff meeting in the history of the universe. Let's get to work." 

We filed out of the office. It was a short file-three people long. I headed over to the book repair table and began sorting through the books that had been placed there. Melanie pulled the bin out from under the book drop, and Blake headed for the men's room by way of the janitorial closet. 

"If I'm not back in ten minutes," he said dramatically, posing with a mop in his hand, "call 911."

??

Never once in my life have I walked away from anything I really wanted. Okay, I walked away from the whole Rob situation-painfully, regretfully, but I walked. I didn't want him anymore. I wanted someone who wasn't a game player. Life has enough natural drama without people adding to it, you know? But the point is, I'm not a quitter. I didn't quit ballet until I outgrew my tutu (and couldn't stomach the thought of getting a new one), I stuck with marching band until I had marched at least a hundred miles, and I was not giving up my library without a fight.