Chapter Twenty-one

TWENTY-ONE 

I studied myself in the full-length mirror behind my bedroom door. I wasn't used to dressing up, and I wasn't sure if my red sheath dress fit properly. Aunt Kathy had bought it for me as a surprise, telling me it was a late Christmas present, which was so not true because she had already given me a great one. But I wasn't going to look a gift clotheshorse in the mouth. 

A knock came on my door, and I opened it to see Mom standing there. "Oh, Addie, you look beautiful." 

"I do? I feel kind of awkward and bumpy." 

She smiled. "You just don't know how beautiful you are." Then she held up her hands. "I know, I know-I'm not trying to Bella you. Just telling you what I see." 

"Thanks, Mom." I gave her a quick hug, then noticed she held something in her hands. "What's that?" 

"A necklace for you to borrow." She took it out and set the box on the bed, then fastened the chain around my neck. A teardrop diamond solitaire, much larger than the one Dad had given her for Christmas, was suspended like a star around my neck. 

"Mom! Are you sure you want me to borrow this? It must have cost a fortune." 

"Don't worry about that. My father gave it to me when I graduated from college, and I haven't had the chance to wear it as much as I'd like. I can't think of a better occasion than tonight, on you." 

I gave her another hug, then turned back to the mirror. The necklace really did add something special, and now I felt I could go out there and throw the best library open house ever. 

@ ??1

Blake whistled long and low when I walked into the library, and Chase gave an appreciative wolf howl. "Oh, stop it," I said, waving them away. "Just wait until Melanie gets here. She looks gorgeous." 

She did. She wore a floor-length dress of pale pink satin with a lace overlay, and the guys gave her the same welcome they had me. It was only fair. 

"So, the food's here, right?" I asked. 

"Yes. The caterer just left." 

"And they brought enough plates?" 

Blake smiled. "Addie, calm down. You thought of everything. You have backup plans on top of your backup plans. Just relax." 

I took a couple of deep breaths. I had meant for them to be calming, but I probably sounded like I was practicing Lamaze. 

As the patrons trickled in, I found my groove. Many expressed their thanks for everything I'd done to bring about the new library, and I smiled, not wanting to remind them how vigorously I'd fought it to begin with. If they wanted to think I was somehow responsible for this thing that was making them very happy, who was I to disappoint them? 

Mrs. Harlowe sought me out, her little bird eyes twinkling almost as brightly as her sapphire clip-on earrings. "Thank you for this fun occasion to dress up," she said. "My Edgar took me out to fancy places all the time, but since he passed, I haven't had much chance to put on my party clothes." She leaned forward a little as if to whisper, but her voice was far too loud to be considered any such thing. "I put a check in the mail yesterday for the new library. I told them they'd better have a good children's wing. You need plenty of room for those Story Times of yours." 

"Thank you, Mrs. Harlowe." I was deeply touched that she could still think so well of me after the thoughtless way I'd treated her. Some people had the gift of easy forgiveness-I wished I did. 

The rest of the night spun past like a carousel. People in and out, nibbling the hors d'oeuvres, stopping to greet me, wandering through the building and figuring out where their favorite authors' books were located now. The buzz of conversation filled my ears and threatened to give me a headache. I stepped outside for a minute, breathing in the crisp night air, and looked up at the stars, always brilliant during the winter.