Chapter 4

Sorry if this chapter's crap, I had to update from my phone and I'm too lazy to proofread! But I hope you enjoy:)

(flashback to age 11)

(This just in, there have been reports of a possible robbery at a local convinient store and we are getting reports of 4 hostages including,  the cashier held at gunpoint, we'll be right back with the identities of the four hostages.) I watched the horrific scene silently as I sat next to my dad. Fear sinking in as I thought of how close I am to that maniac. I've seen this all the time on tv and never thought it would happen so close to home. Where I was meant to feel safe and warm, but now I feel hollow and frozen. There's no escape from the dangers of the world. Just the thought of that made my stomach churn. What kind of sick person would do this to people? I turned my attention back to the screen.(We have identification on all hostages inside the store. Here's a list of the names and pictures; Kent Michaels, Nancy Freeman, Greg Lowe, and Eve Green.) As I saw her picture flash across the screen I sat there, frozen for what felt like eternity. The women whose arms felt like home, the smile that made my heart so warm, whose soft voice would sing away all my fear and chase my nightmares away. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. "Dad?" I cried. He didn't move for a few seconds, but when he finally did, he stood up and stormed out the door out of the house. I couldn't look at the tv. My gaze was fixed on the door just waiting for my mom to come home wrapping me in one of her safe hugs. A tear escaped my eye as I thought about how much fear she must be in. I finally built up the courage to look at the tv. I noticed my father, standing next to a police officer. He handed my dad a megaphone.

"Honey, it's me, I'm here, you don't have to be afraid anymore. (he starts sobbing) whatever happens just know that Elaina will be alright and taken care of. You've done a good job. She's perfect, just like you." At that moment I saw the gunman come out with the gun held to the back of my moms head. He and my dad exchanged words when the gunman started to yell. " I want someone to feel the agonizing pain and heartache of losing someone dearly like I have.(his voice gets louder) I want somebody to lay awake at night, drinking to the verge of death with a gun in their mouth that a little twitch of their finger would make everything numb and think why wasn't it them that night. But now, there will be no pain."

BANG.

"No!" I screamed as I watched my mothers lifeless body fall to the ground. No emotion, no warmth, no soul. (end of flashback.)

"Where's your dad now?" Adam said bringing me out of my daze. "Oh, um, he never came back that night, I haven't seen him since." I said.

"What about the gunman?" he said with worry in his eyes. "He escaped with one of the hostages." I cried. He pulled me into a tight embrace, stroking my hair and humming smooth melodies.

"How about we go out for some icecream aye?" he said cheekily.

"I'm sorry I don't feel up to it. I think I'm just going to walk around the city, take my mind off things." I smiled lightly.

"Ok, just be safe and call me if you need anything ok?" he said. I smiled and headed for the city.

It's been a good hour of walking so I decided to turn around and head back home. I was passing by a bar when I saw someone very familiar sitting in the alley next to it. It was Robert. He had a black eye and didn't know where he was. I rushed over to him and bent down, lightly stroking his bruise. I lifted him up, one arm around his waist, and flung his other arm over my shoulder.

I finally made it home accidentally making Robert fall twice on the way here. I layed him on my couch and went to get him some water. I came back and saw him sitting up. "Here drink this, it'll help." I said. "Hey, nametag!" he said in a loud italian voice. I got up to leave from how abnoxious he was being. But as soon as I walked by him, he grabbed my hand and pulled me to his lap. He stared at me with those mesmorizing eyes. "Thank you." he said. He stared at me deeply without blinking. "Now I remember why it's so hard to get you off my mind." he whisperd, sending butterflies mixed with heat through my stomach. He leaned in and started trailing kisses lightly up my neck to my jawbone. I gently tugged at his hair as he hit my sweet spot. His lips were a centemeter away from mine when I realised what was happening. I jerked back off of his lap. "What?" he said with his puppydog eyes and pouty lip. "I'm sorry, but I don't want to be a one night stand you'll never remember." I said harshly. "You're welcome to stay for the night but you have to leave first thing in the morning." I said. And with that, I headed up the stairs to my room, ready to curl up and fall asleep.