Chapter Twenty-Three

“Tonight?! They’re going to come tonight?” Dawn exclaimed before forcing herself to take a deep breath and remember that she was the alpha female and therefore supposed to encourage and lift up her pack, not bring them down with her own hysterics.

“I can’t say one hundred percent for sure since I am not with them to hear what Faugrimm says but that hunter is a friend of mine and he says it will be tonight. I trust him.” Grange replied.

“I won’t go back to him. Can’t go back there. Can’t go back to where the walls close in.”Farrah chanted fearfully.

“You aren’t going back there.” Trig assured her as he smoothed her hair from her face. “I can promise you that.”

“Come with me.” Grange said quietly in Dawn’s ear and then without another word to anyone else he led her out of the cabin and to the barn where they could be alone.

“Grange, I’m scared.” Dawn admitted. “I’ve been trying hard to learn what Nickolai is teaching me but…”

“You will not be fighting.” Grange snapped, his blue eyes flashing with gold.

“But I thought that’s why you were having Nickolai train me.” Dawn replied with a frown.

“No.” Grange replied quickly. “No he is training you just in case we have a worst case scenerio and I am killed. Unless that happens I will be there to keep you safe.” Grange’s face softened and he laid his hand over her stomach. “You and our child.”

Dawn looked up at him and felt tears gathering in her eyes.

“Why aren’t you happy about the baby?” she whispered. Grange sighed and put his hands on her cheeks, gently stroking her jaw.

“Dawn, love, use your senses and see if you can tell me what I’m feeling.”

Dawn studied his face and took a deep breath. She tried to pick through the different emotions that she could sense. There was a little bit of fear, which was natural considering they knew what was coming after them. There was also a touch of anger. But then coming through, stronger than both those emotions, was happiness. Complete and total happiness.

“I am happy, Dawn. And I am more proud than I have ever been before to know that we’re going to have a child. I’m sorry if I made you doubt that earlier but there is just so much going on at this moment and I’m afraid. I’m afraid that I will fail at keeping you and our child safe.”

“I love you, Grange.” Dawn replied. “And everything is going to be fine. You are the alpha and no pissed off little elf is going to cause harm to our pack.” Grange didn’t say a word, simply growled lightly and then pushed her up against the barn wall before covering her mouth with his. Devouring her the way a prisoner would his last meal before taking the long walk to the gallows.

Dawn clung to him with near desperation, praying that she had been right in telling him that nothing would harm their pack. She would not be able to carry on if something happened to Grange. To her mate. To the other half of her soul.

Grange pulled away and knelt down so he could press a gentle kiss to her stomach, placing his forehead against it and whispering quietly. Then he stood straight, grabbed her hand and led her back out of the barn.

“I want the women down in the cellar.” he stated when they entered, breaking apart the loving embraces of both Trig and Farrah as well as Nickolai and Brie.

“I’m fighting with you.” Farrah argued and then fear entered her eyes. “I can’t go in the cellar.” Grange rubbed his face roughly and nodded.