Chapter Twenty-Eight

“Actually yeah we were so if you wouldn’t mind just releasing our friends from that big… giant..uh..bush, then we would be very grateful.” Trig replied with a grin.

“So foolish.” Faugrimm replied with a tsk and then a bolt of lightning flashed and Trig yelled as it struck him and he went flying backward through the air, bouncing off the stone wall.

“Trig!” Farrah screamed. She ran to him and fell to her knees beside him. “Are you okay?” she asked with a tilt of her head.

Trig managed to force a smile to his soot blackened face and patted at his wild and smoking hair.

“Never better. There’s nothing like getting struck by lightning to get the old juices flowing again.”

“Juices?” Farrah asked with curiosity and Trig nodded.

“Yep. Now help me up, honey, because I believe my legs are still twitching.”

Farrah grabbed his arm, receiving a shock of her own, and then pulled him to his feet.

Grange saw that Trig was still smoking and twitching but other than that seemed fine. He growled when Brendon went running back into the castle and out of sight.

“You should have known better than to trust that hunter.” Faugrimm stated. “If he will turn on me and help you then he will turn on you as well.”

“You elves sure do like to talk.” Grange growled. “Nickolai, are you and Brie okay?” he called out across the courtyard. Nickolai’s expression was one of boredom.

“Yes. Yes we are fine. Just, you know, hanging around.”

“He just made a joke!” Trig exclaimed with surprise. Faugrimm suddenly looked angry and insulted.

“Why are you not frightened? You are laughing and joking as if I and my brother pose no threat at all!”

“Your brother?” Dawn asked with a frown. “Was he supposed to meet you out here?” Faugrimm cast a glance at the empty rooftop and then licked his lips nervously. “Yeah, I don’t think he’s coming… You see, we ran into him on the staircase and, well, he’s dead.”

Faugrimm’s face contorted with rage and the wind suddenly began blowing with so much force it was hard to keep ones balance on the ground.

“Are you angry, Faugrimm?” Dawn asked with a smile. Nickolai had taught her that when battling an enemy who’s powers were greater than your own, it served well to make them very very angry. Their anger would cloud their vision and their judgment. They would be lost in the rage and most of the time, cooler heads could prevail.

“He looks rather angry.” Nickolai agreed from where he was tangled up in the hedges.

“Tell me, Faugrimm, how is Faugrimm junior doing?” Dawn asked. When Grange frowned at her, she smiled. “I kicked him.” she informed him. “Hard.” Grange chuckled and nodded.

“Good for you.” Faugrimm yelled out in anger.

“You kill my brother and then you mock me?!” He drew his sword and lunged toward Grange and Dawn. Grange tossed Dawn over his shoulder, much like a sack of flour so that he would have one arm free to wield his sword.

Faugrimm’s sword and Grange’s met in mid air with a loud clashing of metal on metal.

Dawn clung to the back of Grange’s shirt and she looked up to see Farrah and Trig running toward the hedges that Nickolai and Brie were currently wrapped up tight in.

“Put me down, Grange.” Dawn said as Grange grunted and swung the heavy sword again.

“No.” he replied simply. Dawn saw the blood still seeping from his back wound that was struggling to heal. She knew that holding her was hindering his movements.