Chapter Twenty-Nine

Grange groaned as he fought his way back to consciousness. Pain is what he was first aware of and then he became aware of the soft warm body cuddled up against his own.

He breathed in Dawn’s scent and smiled. She was alive and well. He opened his eyes and looked down at her. Her face was squished against up against him and her drool had begun to pool on his skin.

He tried hard not to laugh but she moaned and shifted slightly as several chuckles slipped free and rumbled deep in his chest beneath her face.

Grange pulled up the blanket around them and looked down at her legs. Someone had sewn them up and from what he could tell they were healing nicely. Now that the trauma was over her body could focus less on the baby and more on healing herself.

Grange took a deep breath and realized they were still in Faugrimm’s castle. He had no way of knowing how long they had been in this bed but judging by the way his stomach wound seemed to be healing beneath the bandage it had been a good solid day.

Their bodies had been badly injured and needed that time to heal themselves.

Grange moved his gaze back to her face and saw her brow furrow as she shifted. He wondered what she was dreaming. He loved to watch her. To look at her. All that soft, pale skin. Those curves and dips of her body that were like a map to all his favorite places. Maps to his own personal Eden.

She had her top leg propped over his legs and her arm was lying across her hip. She looked so gentle. So innocent. But there was more to Dawn than what met the eye.

His tough little mate. How foolish he’d been to be upset when he’d first met her. He had thought she would be fragile, soft and useless when it came down to the hardships of being an alpha wolf. He hadn’t thought she’d have what it took to survive in this kind of life. But now?

Grange ran his knuckle tenderly over her pale, lightly freckled cheek and felt his heart do a slow roll in his chest.

She was stronger than ten thousand men combined. She had the guts to do what it took to survive and the strength of both body and mind to handle any situation she was put into. She was his mate. His alpha female. His wife. His best friend. All he had ever wanted yet had never dreamed existed.

“What are you looking at so hard?” Dawn whispered as her lips curved into a smile and her eyes fluttered open.

“Your drool.” Grange replied with a grin. A deep red blush covered Dawn’s cheeks and she quickly pulled away, wiping the drool from her face with the back of her hand and then using the blanket to dry his chest.

“I wasn’t drooling.” she argued quietly and Grange’s smile grew. Dawn felt her heart beat just a little faster at the sight of that lopsided grin. It seemed Grange’s smile could always send her heart fluttering. Even after she’d given him a nice little drool bath.

“No of course not.” he agreed. Dawn stretched and then winced at the tightness in her calves.

“Ouch.”

Grange hugged her tight and pressed another gentle kiss to her temple.

“You’ll be sore for a while. You were one little ball of fighting force to be reckoned with. For somebody so tiny you sure took care of business real good.”

“I wasn’t going to let anything happen to our baby.” Dawn replied simply and Grange laid his hand gently over her bare stomach. He could smell that tiny life still nestled safely inside her and his heart filled with loving pride.

“Have I told you yet how happy I am that I found you? How happy I am that we have our pack and are starting a family?”

“You could always tell me again.” Dawn replied, arching her back as she stretched and then curled up tighter against him. “Just so I don’t forget.”