TWENTY

We got to shore by nightfall with zero interruption from Gary, who got off at an earlier stop. The sky was flecked with white stars, and the gentle overlying darkness of the sky shifted gradually from blue onto black. The moon was missing from the sky, and the stars twitched and their light shone down against us, as if the balls of gas themselves were the heads of angels and the light flowing down were there skirts.

Oliver's face grayed against the darkness, but I could still see the giddy expression curving his face. His hair glowed like a satin white halo over his pale face, and his eyes twinkled like neatly cut sapphires in the darkness. His jacket-padded arms were crossed over his chest, dipping the cigarette in his mouth against the wind so the smoke wouldn't get to me. Honestly, he had offered to leave while smoking earlier, only to have me tell him to stay. I didn't care about the smoke.

It was time to accept it... The bond between Apotropaic and Extant.

Oliver stood, taking the cigarette from his mouth. "We're here. Still in Arizona, but... here. Let's hope Dillon can figure out something." He twisted the ashes against the bottom of his shoe, and cast me a small smile.

I crossed my arms over my chest. "He has gotten us this far," I said, referring to Dillan. "But I don't think he will be as good. After all, Caleb's vessel died." Truly, Caleb, Delta's Apotropaic was the one with the silver tongue. Dillan had his ways, but from what I remember, Caleb had gotten us both train and plane tickets.

Oliver's eyebrows lifted. "Yes. I forgot that he died. I'd been spending so much time with you, I completely forgot about Caleb."

"You told me they all die off sooner or later. I think maybe most of the Apotropaics will probably die off by the time we get to Mary's aid." I stood after him, straightening my back. "Do you think we could get any training done while in Arizona?"

He shrugged. "You never know." He stuck the cigarette back into its pack; he was out. "I thought that maybe you would want to wait until Los Angeles?"

I shook my head bitterly. "There's no way would let my skill get rusty. Besides, your vessel could die before then. You've been here on earth longer than the other Apotropaics."

At that moment, Dillan Raking rested his hand on my shoulder. I jumped and glared at him in a flash, blonde curls swinging against my hair in the process. The tacosexual laughed in amusement at my reaction, and I shoved him. "Croma dammit, don't scare me like that!"

"Woah, Emma!" He grinned. "Being a little violent today? I thought you would be happy after the day with your new boyfriend."

If there was one thing I hated more than being teased about romantic relationships by an adult was being teased about them by a kid. I had no interest in Oliver that way. After all, we had only just become recognized friends. And he was my Apotropaic. I pulled my Metallica shirt a little ways down over my jeans, and stuck my tongue out at him rather than getting angry. "Hush, boy. You're still a royal asshat."

As if he was content with something, he crossed his arms over his chest and grinned. Soon, the rest of the group had located us, and we were herded off the boat into a place in Arizona near New Mexico. I wasn't sure exactly where we were at, but it seemed to be a fishing district, and there weren't many people.

I let Oliver carry my duffel bag, and he held it gingerly at his side. We walked in two's: Oliver and I, Dillan and Nahara, Fango and Delta, Carter and Ace, and finally, Mun took up the rear.

I lifted my head towards the sky as I left the boat and stepped onto land. The breeze patted my hair, which was greasy at this point, but I couldn't care less. I felt the ends of my hair tickle my elbow, and my black eyes found the sky. It's okay, Mary. I am so close to you... We won't lose you. Even if I have to search the rest of my life. I hope you don't mind... I made friends that I love almost as much as you.