Time

A week had passed since the tree incident. Each morning, Draco and Hermione cleaned or gardened. Their afternoons were spent in the library, pouring over the dusty texts.

'I can't believe how different it looks in here,' Hermione said, looking around the drawing room. 'Is this what you've been so secretive about?'

'Yeah, well, I know this room is...difficult...for you, but it's also the comfiest, so...me and Beastly gave it a makeover.'

'It looks great! Loads more welcoming. But...where did you get the paint?'

'Oh, y'know, we found some old paint in the, uh, the attic.'

Draco studied the cream ceiling, avoiding Hermione's gaze. Seaside vistas hung on the yellow walls, moved from their original places around the manor.

They sat on a large sofa by the fireplace. Hermione balanced a mug of tea on her lap, listening to the ticking of an old grandfather clock.

'He's late,' Draco said, as the clock chimed midnight.

'Give him a minute!'

A knocking sounded from within the fireplace. Draco stood and tapped his wand against the mantlepiece. The flames turned green, and a hand pushed a stack of books onto the hearth.

'Thanks, Harry!' Hermione called.

The hand gave her a thumbs up and waved, before disappearing. The flames returned to yellow and orange. Draco collected the books from the floor and deposited them on Hermione.

'Watch out! You nearly spilled my tea. Madam Pince will never forgive me if I mess up her books!'

'She'll get over it. Alright, it's bedtime. I'm tired.'

'I can walk to my room myself, you know.'

'And you know I'm not risking any more traps. Hurry up and pick a book. I need my beauty sleep!'

'No kidding,' Hermione teased, squinting at his face. 'I can see wrinkles forming, and...oh my, is that your hairline receding?!'

'Because I'm getting old standing here waiting for you. Get a move on, woman!'

Hermione rolled her eyes and grabbed one of the larger books. She followed Draco through the manor. In the entrance hall, his wandlight glinted off suits of armour standing against the walls. They walked up the marble staircase, emerging near Draco's bedroom.

'I can walk from here, honest.'

Draco ignored her protests, as he had all week. Hermione sighed and jogged to catch up. Sleeping portraits snored quietly as they walked the length of the landing.

'Here you are,' Draco said. 'Don't stay up too late reading!'

'You are such a grandma,' Hermione laughed. 'Night!'

*****

Hermione woke up with a stiff neck, the book still open on her lap. Beastly peeked around the door.

'Morning, Miss!'

'Mornin',' Hermione yawned. 'Did I miss breakfast?'

'No, Miss. Master sent Beastly to bring Miss a cup of coffee. Master says Miss will be tired from reading all night.'

'Mmm, thanks!' Hermione took the steaming mug from the elf. 'What time is it?'

'Ten-fifteen, Miss.'

'Ten?! I can't believe I overslept!'

Hermione scurried out of bed, grabbing clothes out of her wardrobe.

'Don't worry, Miss. Master says to let Miss sleep, and serve brunch at eleven.'

Beastly bowed and left Hermione to get ready. She jumped into the shower, the water driving away the last vestiges of sleep.

*****

'Morning sleepy-head,' Draco said, looking up from his book. 'Did you finish reading the whole thing?'

'Not quite. Almost!'

'Slacker. Fell asleep on the job again?!'

Hermione pulled a face at Draco. He grinned and went back to reading.

'What d'you want to do today?' Hermione asked, buttering her toast.

'Well...I was hoping you could show me the patronus charm, actually.'

'Yeah, sure. You feeling up to it?'

'I think I'm about recovered from last week's little skirmish. I've not needed a nap for a whole two days!'

The wounds on Draco's back and arm were fully healed. The short sleeves of his t-shirt revealed unblemished skin where the gashes used to be.

'Alright, we'll try after brunch. It might take a while to get the hang of it, though, OK?'

'So long as I don't get devoured by maggots, then it's cool.'

'Gross! I'm eating here!'

'Sorry,' Draco smirked.

'Besides, that only happens to Dark Wizards who attempt to cast a patronus. So you'll be fine.'

'What makes you so sure?'

Hermione's fingers closed around his forearm, her hand covering the Dark Mark. The warmth of her touch radiated through him. Draco stared at the contrast of her brown skin against the paleness of his.

'I just know.'

*****

A/N: Ooh, Draco is going to attempt a patronus! How do you think it's going to go? What do you think his happiest memory is going to be? What animal will he conjure, if he's successful? Share your thoughts in the comments! Much love, Charli