Dresses

After breakfast the next morning, Draco reluctantly agreed to take Hermione to the attic.

'Are you sure you have to come along?' Draco asked. 'I really think it's safer...'

'I'll be fine, Malfoy. I'm not worried.'

'I kind of think you should be, though! After what happened in the tree house?! I've put very little time into checking the attic, and I really don't know what could happen.'

They stood at the bottom of a narrow set of stairs. Draco had his wand in one hand, the other holding onto Hermione's arm.

'Really, Draco. We're just looking for your mum's trunk. What's the worst that could happen?!'

'Don't say that,' Draco moaned. 'You'll jinx it!'

Hermione rolled her eyes and pushed past Draco.

'No,' he said, dragging her back. 'If we do this, you stay behind me with your wand at the ready. I'm hoping that if I keep hold of you it'll bypass any traps.'

'Ok, sounds like a plan.'

Draco sighed and trudged up the stairs. He pushed open the heavy door at the top.

Sun shone through a grimy window, weakly lighting up the space. They could see stacks of boxes and trunks, coated in thick layers of dust.

'Mother's stuff is back here,' Draco said, pointing to the back corner. 'Over there is Father's old things. Don't touch any of it.'

'I won't.'

They carefully stepped over crates and ducked under cobwebs. Hermione heard a mouse squeak and scurry away.

They passed a faded green trunk, with the initials "D.M" emblazoned on it. A racing broom was propped against it. Draco kicked the trunk viciously, and the lid popped open. Hermione saw old text books and school robes stuffed inside. Draco slammed the lid shut.

'Not a fan?' She asked, quietly.

'Bloody hated Hogwarts. It wasn't exactly a happy place for me. The teachers all looked down on me, and I didn't have any real friends. Not like you did. I really envied what you three had, if I'm honest.'

Hermione slipped her hand into his, squeezing it.

'Look, I see the trunk we're looking for.' Dreck said, brusquely.

It was pale pink, with delicate flowers painted on the sides. Draco flicked the lock open with his wand. The lid lifted to show dozens of sparkling gowns.

'Yup, that's the one.'

Draco shut the lid and shrank the trunk. He tucked it into his pocket and pulled Hermione out of the attic. Once they reached the bottom of the stairs, Draco dropped her hand.

'Here you are,' he thrust the tiny trunk at her. 'See you at lunch.'

Without another word, he hurried off towards his bedroom.

Hermione watched him leave, then walked slowly to her room. She magicked the trunk back to its original size and opened it up.

Hermione carefully lifted each out each dress. She gasped at the masses of delicate lace, silk and chiffon. She pulled clothes hangers from her wardrobe, dumping her faded jeans and t-shirts onto the floor.

Hermione hung each dress from the railing of her four-poster bed. She sneezed as dust from the fabrics tickled her nose. Her gaze settled on a soft, golden-yellow dress. She tapped it with her wand, casting spells so it was clean and unwrinkled.

Hermione slipped out of her clothes, eager to try it on. Flecks of gold sparkled as she lifted the dress over her head.

The skirt whispered with layers of feather-light organza, printed with gold filigree. Tiny crystals accentuated each detail, glistening in the light.

'Wow.'

Hermione twirled around, feeling the skirt swish against her legs. She smiled giddily at her reflection. The gold shimmered against her dark skin.

Once she was calmer, she looked critically at the areas she needed to alter. It was a little tight around her waist and loose on her chest. The skirt was too long, tripping her as she moved.

'Easy to fix,' she muttered, twisting around to see all angles in the mirror.

Hermione looked through the other dresses, admiring the different shades and fabrics.

'They're all beautiful,' she said, hands on her hips. 'But I think I like this one best of all. Ah, Cinderella, I shall go to the ball!'

With a giggle, Hermione twirled around her room.

Her impromptu dance was cut short by a sharp knock at the door. She tripped as she skidded to a halt.

'Shit! Uh, just a minute! I just need to...hold on!'

Hermione quickly wrapped a blanket around her. Checking the dress was covered, she pulled open the door.

'Malfoy! Hi!'

'Uh...you Ok...?'

'Yeah! Fine! What's up?'

'I came to let you know lunch is almost ready...'

'Great! Thanks! I'll be down in five.'

'O...kay then...'

Draco shut the door and Hermione reluctantly changed back into her regular clothes.

*****

A/N: I guess my chapters are like buses...none for ages, then two come along at once! I couldn't resist going ahead and writing about that iconic dress tonight. I did borrow some of the description of it from an interview with the designer of the live-action movie.

I just love the dress from 'Beauty & the Beast' so much. I could very happily spend my days floating around that library in that dress. No prince required!

Hope you enjoy this chapter, and thank you again for all of your enthusiasm!

Much love, Charli