Thousand Eyes

5.

Elijah was running, running to where? He did not know. All he knew was that his heart was breaking. He truly felt rejected. Confused. Hurt. How could she say she loved him but not want him? Hayley could potentially be a problem, however nobody really took the time to know her. She wasn't a bitch, a little territorial, perhaps, but she would understand. Plus he couldn't be to sure she didn't have feelings for Jackson either. She was rather peeved when she found out he had slept with Elena. You don't get mad or jealous when you don't have strong feelings for somebody. For Elena to literally choose death over being with him, hurt. He finally saw a lone willow tree next to a small river in the middle of nowhere and decided to sit for awhile. He bent his knees and put his elbows on his knees placing his head in his head, looking down. He sat for what felt like an hour before he heard her yet he still did not move.

She looked at him and her heart broke for him, in her 1000 years on this planet she had never seen him so helpless. It caused a lone tear to make its way down her flawless porcelain face. She sat down beside him lifted his head to her chest and wrapped her arms around him. He took in the scent of his sisters lavender shampoo and felt comforted. He was supposed to be the comforter, not the comforted.

"Its okay Elijah. I won't tell anyone." She smiled. That made him smile back.

"I do love her, I felt she deserved more than this life. She deserved a human life with children."

"What am I going to do with you two?"

"What do you mean, sister?"

"She has her reasons, and I promise you they are not what you think they are." She grabbed his handkerchief from his chest pocket and handed it to him. "You know I have no love for the Dopplergangers, but I must say she is by far the best one. I am glad she didn't truly die that night." He pushed himself off of her, "How do you know how she died, sister?" He questioned.

She went wide eyed, "She really didn't tell you?" Elijah shook his head no, "Tell me YOU didn't have anything to do with this?" He pleaded with her.

"Im sorry brother, I was afraid Alaric was going to kill Nic and I panicked." She said afraid of what he would do. He stood up and paced back and forth, "NO,NO,NO it wasn't supposed to be like this. She wasn't supposed to die REBEKAH! I gave her my word I would protect her from this family and you made me go back on my word. I am no man of honor!" He said shamefully.

"Elijah I am truly sorry about that night, she didn't deserve that and I have to say I respect her a whole lot more that she didn't come straight to you to rat me out."

"Its because she is so damn compassionate, she cares about everybody, including Klaus, its what drew me to her in the first place."

"I swear to you, I will sincerely apologize for my part in her death the moment we back, but please brother you need to talk to her."

She approached him to give him hug, "Please forgive me. Please don't hate me."

He embraced her, "I could never hate you little sister."

———————

Elena was sitting in the living room floor playing with Hope. She was glad the chubby baby couldn't crawl because she could barely move. Hope was giggling at her for playing peek a boo. It made Elena's heart sting a little to know she would never be a mother, she was sure every Vampire felt that way at some point about the loss of parenthood.

She decided to call Jeremy, it had been too long since she talked to him last.

"Hello?" She heard him say bringing a smile to her face.