~ h ~

As soon as they arrive at the venue, the paparazzi is there flashing pictures and shouting questions.

"Mr. Black! Mr. Black! Could I get a quote for the Times about your involvement with the new orphanage you're helping organize in-"

"A photo, please D.L!"

"D.L, is this your new love interest?"

"Mr. Bl-"

The immediate silence was surprising yet definite and Harry looked shockingly at Draco.

"It's the only wandless spell I know how to cast, but it keeps them out of my hair for a while. C'mon, I have to check in soon."

He pulled Harry along beside him, mostly because the ravenette was too busy trying to figure out what was going on around him to be aware of where they were actually walking. Once they were inside the safety of the building, Draco dropped the privacy charms and let in the happy buzzing noises that came from the backstage of the theater.

"Black!" yelled a guy Harry didn't know. He was short and kind of stocky with dimpled cheeks and buzzed brown hair. He had almond eyes and a tiny nose that Harry wasn't sure really smelled anything at all.

"Stage Manager," Draco supplied, before turning his attention to the man in question. "What's wrong, Chris?"

"I- what's wrong? You go on in 10 minutes and you're not even dressed yet!" He finally took notice of Harry who was trying to make himself smaller and snapped his eyes back to Draco. "And who the hell is this? You never said anything about bringing a plus one."

"You said I could," said Draco passively, but his hand around Harry's waist tightened infinitesimally. The stage manager barked out a laugh.

"Doesn't mean I thought you would."

"Seven hells-" the blonde said through a sigh, "Harry this is Christian Jenkins. Chris, this is my partner Harry Potter."

"Partner? Like business partners?"

"Yes, because I'm this comfortable with having my hand on the waist of all my business associates," Draco said, the sarcasm in his voice almost as thick as Harry's hair.

"Some folks are," Chris supplied.

"And those folks are bloody disgusting."

"Yeah," agreed the ravenette, leaning in closer to Draco on instinct, "to take advantage of people like that. People who look up to you; people who trust you..."

"Harry and I are together," Draco said somewhat strained and when Harry looked over at him concerned he looked away. "Potter, don't coddle, I'm fine. I should actually go get changed for my performance before the show. Chris can show you where to sit."

Malfoy walked off without another word or glance in Harry's direction and he'd be lying if he said it didn't sting a little. He looked at Chris and smiled warmly. Moving his hand in a motion as if to say Lead the Way. They walked together amicably and Harry learned about Chris' love of theatre and all types of performances, but how he doesn't think he's all that talented; how he has 3 older sisters and how they both have 2 sons and a wife from Jamaica who works about a block away so they can meet for lunch or dinner and that he absolutely loves his job.

Harry let him talk and tell him things because he decided it must be lonely staying backstage day in and day out. Sure there were the lighting directors and set designers and costumers, but there were so many other things for them to do besides just talking to their boss.

"So how'd you and DL meet," Chris asked once he had finally led Harry down a group of hallways towards seating just offstage behind a wall so he could see everything that went on, but the audience couldn't see him.

"We uh went to school together. Dated back in school for a bit..." Harry sighed as he remembered them then. It wasn't longing, he liked his life now, he just wonders what it would have been like if Draco had never left. "He always loved attention, always wanted to be famous. I uh- I had...other plans. I wanted to raise a family and stuff, ya know? Then a couple of years ago I took my sons to a DL Black concert cause they were absolutely barmy about him and after the show I met him to have him sign a few things..."

"And now you're back together. Funny how the world works, eh? We're never given more than we can handle, remember that." He sends the ravenette a smile like they've been friends forever, before waving. "The show should start shortly. Then DL can show you to your official seats for the premier, yeah?"

"Yeah," Harry agrees. "Thanks. It was nice meeting you, Chris."

"You too, Harry. Enjoy the show."

When Harry was alone it was harder to ignore the sound of his heart still thumping from Draco calling them partners. They hadn't exactly talked about it. He knew what he wanted them to be, but he also knew what had to be done. He watched as the audience slowly filled in their seats, excited for the film the start. There were muggle celebrities he knew in passing from a few movies he'd seen before sitting along the front row and he almost forgot why he was there until Draco walked by him with his head held high and a small nervous twitch messing about his mouth.

"Malfoy," Harry whispered before the blonde was too far and Draco looked back almost surprised in an attempt to hide he nervousness. "It's break a leg, innit?" he asked with a somewhat proud smile and it was like the apprehension melted away from the taller man in seconds.

"Thank you," he said quietly before going on stage to excited cheers.

When he gets a standing ovation from his celebrity peers, Draco almost cries on stage. He exits on the opposite side of the stage then walks around back to where Harry is stood cheering proudly with everyone else and finally, finally grips the front of his button up and pulls the ravenette into a kiss.

His lips are dry from singing for almost an hour, his hair is stuck to his forehead and his back is wet because of the heat coming off of the stage lights, their noses bump together and the angle is no good, but it is the best kiss either of them have ever had in such a long time.

-&-

hey futher muckers
whats up?
new chappie?
yeAh

did you hate it? love it?
lemme know.

buttttt as always i hope you enjoyed
love y'all

-- angel janeé xoxo 💋