Chapter 5

A little thing: Kiara is bigger than Kion. I think it makes sense since she's much older than him, I think in the series she SHOULD at least be taller or bigger if she was born much before Kion.

XXXXX

Simba listened to the orphaned foal's sad tale intently. He particularly asked for any details about the animals that attacked them, but all she could tell him was that they stood on their hind legs, much like baboons and mandrills, but they were almost as tall as a zebra, and they used some kind of enslaved metallic beasts to move around. He was particularly interested in the black branches and tiny stones she claimed had been used against her mother.

Soon after, Thurston's herd arrived. Although neither Zazu nor Ono could find the little one's original herd, Thurston agreed to take the foal into his own, and one of the mare's happily took the orphan in. Simba, however, was worried about the mysterious 'two-legs', as they were being called by the other animals. First the little chick's mother, then the zebra's... And some of the vultures and birds had informed him of said 'metallic beasts' moving near the borders. He considered going to try and reason with them, but first he wanted to learn as much from them as he could, so he asked the vultures to keep an eye on them should they find any.

"What will we do if they come here?" Kiara asked nervously; though she hadn't personally seen any of those 'two-legs', they didn't sound like they should be messed with if they could kill animals that easily.

"If they do come here, we must try and reason with them." Simba told her gently. "Perhaps they are new predators, but if that's the case, they must know they can't just go around killing for sport in the Pride Lands."

"But what kind of predators stands on their high legs?"

"Perhaps they come from faraway lands." Kion stated, but even he was uneasy about these strangers.

"Maybe, but until we can learn more about those 'two-legs', it's best that you both keep your distance. Am I clear?"

Both cubs nodded. "Yes, dad."

Satisfied, Simba recalled there was something else he wanted to ask. "Kion, has Ono been keeping an eye on Makuu and his... son?"

Kion could tell his father felt awkward at referring to Kitwana as Makuu's child, both because he was a different species, and because they never imagined the crocodile would be father material. Though they didn't doubt Makuu was no longer the troublemaker he used to be, there were still certain aspects to his... character they had to be wary of, such as his temper. Because of this, Ono was in charge of looking after Kitwana's progress with the crocodiles.

"He has. Turns out Makuu's a pretty decent dad, even though he doesn't seem fond of it."

"Rather, a decent 'mom'." Kiara said in a small fit of giggles.

Simba was surprised the crocodile was living up to such a task, but then he recalled something. The migratory herds would pass through the river where the crocodiles dwelt soon, and such a sight wouldn't be proper for such a young chick to witness. Kion seemed to guess what he was thinking.

"Hey, dad, don't you think we should do something about the migratory herds?"

"I'm afraid it's an event that cannot be postponed. Most of the crocodiles' feeding comes from those herds, to miss it would bring trouble for them later on. But I do agree that Kitwana should not witness the crocodiles' feeding habits, as much as he may think he is one of them." Simba thought for a moment, and soon after thought of something. "I think I might have an idea..."