Chapter 15

The float departed from lake Matope (or what little was left of it) before sunrise, and headed towards the Outlands. The females were in the center, and the few hatchlings that still hadn't been preyed on by the hyenas were tucked into their throat pouches. Pua and the large males took care of any hyena that tried to stop them on Scar's orders, and this time the crocodiles showed no mercy, like the hyenas had shown no mercy to those baby crocodiles they ate.

Unfortunately, one of the mothers, Nyota, had lost most of her clutch to those animals, and only three remained: her elder son Makuu, her middle son Ukuru, and her younger daughter Ungwana. Their father didn't partake much in their education, since the crocodile way decreed that 'females look after the hatchlings, while males provide food for the float', but he did what he could to help her under these circumstances.

Days after leaving the Pride Lands and wandering through the deserted Outlands with no water and a terrible heat, Nyota sensed her time would soon come to an end. Knowing the father of her hatchlings would probably not agree, she secretly spoke to Pua, asking him to lead her two younger children away, she needed to ask speak with her eldest alone. He solemnly granted her request, and promised her he'd look after them when she was gone.

The next morning, the exhaustion, dehydration and overheat finally started taking its toll on Nyota. She was unable to get on her feet, or even move.

"Mother, please get up." Little Makuu said, nudging her with his tiny snout.

It took Nyota a great deal of effort to even try. "I... I'm not sure I can..."

"Yes you can." He assured her. "Please, get up."

Nyota tried her best, but she could only bear a few seconds on her feet before her legs trembled and she fell to the ground. Pua and the other crocodiles realized what was going on, and led the hatchlings away, including Ukuru and Ungwana. They'd stay around, just out of sight and earshot.

"What about mama? And Makuu?" Ungwana asked.

"They'll catch up..." Pua said solemnly. It was a half-truth; only one of them would catch up.

Makuu was getting worried. A part of him foresaw what would happen, but he didn't want to accept it. "Mother, what's wrong?"

"My sweet little Makuu..." Nyota whispered. "I need you to promise me something..."

"What do you mean...?"

"Promise me you will look after your siblings..." Nyota coughed.

"But why...? You'll be there with us."

"I wish I could, my son... but I'm afraid my journey through the Circle of Life has come to an end."

"No it isn't! You just need some water, t-that's all...!"

"I don't have much time left, sweetie... Please promise me that no matter what... You'll always look after your siblings... They will need you more than ever. You are the eldest and they'll look up to you..."

By then, the little croc's eyes were almost watering. "But mother... What about you?"

"I will always be with you, Makuu... even if you cannot see me..."

Despite his denial at what was happening, Makuu managed to speak between his little sobs. "I promise, mother..."

With the little strength she had left, Nyota managed to look at her son and give him that kind, sweet smile everyone knew her for. He had taken after her physically, though he had his father's impatience and pride, but she knew that deep down he also had her heart. "I love you, my sweet little Makuu... Never forget it..."