Chapter 16

Word spread out when Akina, Hodari and the others returned from the Outlands... without Makuu.

When Simba went to ask what happened, Hodari was the one to explain the whole thing. Akina was unresponsive, she didn't talk with anybody, she just stood at the edge of the lake, staring into the distance. Hodari himself could barely talk in between sobs, and when he was done he started to weep.

Given the circumstances, Simba could only assume what had happened to Makuu when they left; he had probably been killed by the two-legs, and this left the crocodiles leaderless. He didn't know what they did under these circumstances, but he didn't dare ask immediately; with one look he could tell they were mourning their leader their own way.

As days passed, Akina didn't move from her spot, and she still did not speak to anybody. She didn't sleep, barely ate, she just continued to stare at the distance, as if waiting for her mate to return, almost as if she believed she'd see a green spot coming from the Outlands. Many of the other leaders came to offer their condolences over her loss, but she paid them no heed.

She did react, however, when Simba came to discuss who would lead the crocodiles with Makuu gone. Akina gave him a glare that would have sent shivers down Zira's spine.

"He's not gone. He will come back. I know it. Until then, you may name whoever you want to act as a temporal substitute. But don't dare repeating that he's gone in front of me, your majesty."

Although Simba didn't lost his composure, he was internally freaked out by the hostility; not Makuu's raging fire, but his mate's 'calm before the storm' demeanor. He now knew why all the other animals respected her. When he left, he made a mental note to never cross her.

The float mourned for an entire week. Ghubari blamed himself, because he had sprung that trap that caught their leader. Hodari thought similarly of himself, in his case for not being strong enough to cut through those ropes to free him. Bakshi also blamed herself in a way; if she hadn't left Kitwana behind, he would have never gone to the Outlands in the first place.

The rest of the float discussed about their current leaderless status. Makuu was never challenged and defeated in the Mashindano before his... disappearance, so they decided to name a substitute, like Akina had told Simba. They didn't like the idea, but given the circumstances, they had no other choice. Most wanted Akina to be the substitute, but she was in no emotional condition to lead the float, and none of the other crocodiles dared to offer themselves for the position.

Which left only one option.

....

Akina stood there, watching over to towards the mountains, pondering over her mate's fate. Everyone thought he had been killed by those monsters, but she didn't. Her Makuu wouldn't go down without a fight; he never gave up so easily. She knew he'd find a way to return to her. He had to. She couldn't imagine life without him anymore.

She was also worried about Kitwana. Where had the little one gone? Was he alright? Was he even alive? If he weren't, Makuu would never forgive himself.

Again.

She heard paw steps of someone approaching behind her, but she didn't turn around, even though there was something familiar about them. Even though she didn't bother to give a glance of acknowledgement despite her evident surprise, Akina spoke. "Pua."

Pua did not live with the float anymore, but it didn't mean he didn't keep his tabs on it; naturally, he was surprised when he heard Makuu had been playing mother to a bird, but what did it was the recent news that Makuu was... gone, presumably captured and killed by the two-legs when he tried to go save his surrogate son. The news struck a hard blow on the old crocodile, but he had no time to mourn him.