||17||

•Chapter Seventeen•
Heart to Heart
(Stark Tower)

The next morning, I was yet again up before dawn. I'm not sure why, but I couldn't sleep. Something just didn't feel right an I couldn't figure it out.

Käro still sleep on the floor beside my bed. On multiple occasions I had told him he could sleep on the end of my bed, but he turned it down every time. Something about not wanting to feel like the 'house hold dog.'

I sat Indian style and listened. I didn't do this often but I found it was comforting to just try to pick out every sound I could hear. I shut my eyes and just listened.

My heartbeat, soft and slowing. Käro's breathing. His heartbeat. The muted sound of the AC. The electric hum of my alarm clock. Tove's heartbeat in the room next to mine. Alrekr's even farther down the hall. Someone was in the kitchen.

My eyes flashed open.

To far. I still couldn't believe how much I could hear. How far I could see. How much I could smell. Feel. All because of the mark on my arm, my bond with Käro. I peeked at him and found him looking up at me from his spot on the floor. I must have woke him up when I jumped.

"Litenrev, are you okay?" Little Fox. Because I was little and clever like one. Another one of my many nicknames. At this point I had so many from so many different people, I wondered if even Lorien was one too.

"Just thinking." I answered, tracing the swirls of my mark with my finger. I pursed my lips and pushed back a thought that came to my head.

***

Natasha came and got me an hour later and informed me that we were training after breakfast.  And that we included me, Alrekr, and who ever else she dragged in.  I politely kicked Käro out and started getting ready.

I picked out a pair of black, athletic leggings and a loose grey t-shirt with, 'Kinda Care, Kinda Don't,' across the front in white lettering.  I decided to wait to shower until after whatever torment Natasha was going to put us through.  Shoeless, I slipped out of my room as I braided my hair.

Alrekr was waiting in the hallway.  He was adorn in dark grey athletic sweatpants and blue t-shirt.  He had on the bright red converse Clint made him get.

I felt my cheeks heat the moment I saw him.

"Good morning, Lorien."  He greeted, a lop-sided grin on his lips.  I'm dead.

"Mornin'."  I blurted out when I finally found my voice.  Alrekr chuckled, his own cheeks a shade of light pink.  This was so awkward.  Oh my Gods.

"Ummm....did Natasha tell you we were training after breakfast?" 

I wrung my hands together.  Alrekr nodded softly, "she did.  I believe she also asked Tove."

Tove training, with Natasha.  A brief moment of panic settled in my stomach.  Tove was so gentle.  I mean, not that she couldn't learn to fight but I couldn't imagine her being happy with it.

"I thought I was going to die the first time I trained with Natasha, and I grew up learning from other S.H.I.E.L.D agents.  Did Tove say yes?"