the one with the panda

It was a casual day for christmas - shopping and all - but to bump into somebody I didn't want to see wasn't part of my plan.

I was too busy listing off the people I had to buy gifts for in my head that I wasn't paying attention to where I was walking.

And it was then, that I noticed a pair of sneakers on the ground as the sun was blocked out. I tilted my head up to look at the culprit and I swallowed hard at the figure that made me stop.

Standing in front of me with his towering height was my ex-boyfriend. My arm felt heavier than before as I stared at him, scanning his appearance.

Along with this thick sweater, he was wearing a knitted beanie. His eyes, still as inexpressive as ever, but the more I stared at them, the more I got lost.

Judging from the lack of shopping bags, I assumed that he would have just arrived. I, on the other hand, would have made Santa Claus proud with the amount of purchases.

I wanted to run away as fast as my boots could take me, but I couldn't. My feet were glued to the sidewalk as I tried to formulate words inside my head.

From the way I was acting, you would guess that we had a nasty break-up scenario.

If only that was the case.

We started going out because I finally told him how I felt. My friends urged me that I would regret it for the rest of my life if I didn't say it to him. To everyone's disbelief, he said yes to going out with me.

I thought it was mutual but, boy, I was wrong.

I was the one who pushed through the relationship, almost everything felt one sided. I remembered the important dates, I was the one who initiated things, and the more time I spent with him, the more I felt as a burden.

So I called it quits. And when I told him this, he had the same reaction he had when we got together - he grunted and nodded his head.

Part of me was completely embarrassed and the other part agreed with him.

"Ivan." I finally gained the courage to greet him, forcing a polite smile on my face.

He nodded, curtly, as his eyes zoomed in on my shopping bags.

"Just a busy day of shopping." I said, awkwardly. "Well, I'd better go."

I turned around and started walking but, to my surprise, I felt his hand on my arm, stopping me. My heart started to beat rapidly as I turned to face him.

As I turned, I gave him a questioning look as he ran a hand through his hair.

"I need your help in choosing a gift."

"What?"

"I don't know what present to buy for a girl." He said, after seeing my confused look.

A girl.

Something in my chest dropped when he explained. Who was he shopping for?

His mom?

His sister?

A girl he likes?

"Is that okay?" He asked, nervously.

My mind told me to yell 'NO' and walk away, but hearing his voice, I agreed unconsciously.

He let a small smile form on his lips. He them glanced around the shops. "Where should we start?"

"How about this shop?" I asked, pointing at the store directly in front of us.