Natalia Borgia - Chapter Nine

Second birthday chapter

We finally reached Avignon, France, and the castle of my uncle, King Louis. After the ship journey I wished to ride with my soon to be husband. So my wet nurse took care of Amara. We came to a stop just outside the castle walls, we were greeted by a bishop."

"My Lord Borgia, My Lady Orsini." he bowed his head towards us.

"You look quite sober for a duke."

"And you look quite priestly for a King." Cesare replied and I smile into his back.

"The King is hunting and please do not take it amiss. There are diplomatic niceties to observe. Even for the son of the pope. he stood to one side and we continued.

"You do know they will have us in separate chambers till we are married."

"I would only have it a few days, my love" we came to a stop and Cesare dropped down the placed his hands on my waist to help me down.

"Lady Orsini, His Highness the King, wishes a audience with you alone. And before he would meet with your betrothed.

"Of course, thank you" we were shown to our chambers and in mine had a cradle. I took a hold of my daughter and bounced her a little.

"Welcome to France, piccolo. It is not as busy as what we are used to is it?" I sigh and look out at the magnificent view. I changed from my riding wear to a royal blue gown. From what I noticed our fashion was complete different to theirs. their skirts and head wear for example.

"Lady Orsini, His highness has returned."

"Thank you" I was lead through the walls Amara and nurse maid behind me and I flatted out my dress.

"This is His Highness' personal quarters, after you have finished, he will escort you to the throne room. And seen as you are the King's niece you and he has no heirs, you will be addressed as Princess Natalia"

"Princess, I have never been anything other than a lady"

"Your  mother was never banished or excommunicated. So while she married below her station she still remained a Princess. Which you are also." The doors opened and i gulped

"Presenting her Royal Highness Princess Natalia." I walked in and I saw my uncle I bowed

"Dearest Natalia" he opened his arms.

"Uncle Louis" I lifted my skirt and ran to hug him

"It has been so long little one, my how you have grown. A beautiful young woman." his thick French accent.

"Thank you." the was a small gurgle, I smiled and took my daughter

"You may leave us." the nurse nodded and left "Uncle, I would like to introduce you to my daughter. Amara Orsini -Borgia."

"Borgia?"

"Her father, is my betrothed."

"I think you had better explain what has happened since we last saw one another." I nodded and we sat down. I explained, my parents dying to Orsinio abuse, Cesare saving me, King Charles and our confession of our love towards each other. Then to finding i was with child and giving birth.

"My, you should be called young warrior."

"I have had to grow quite a lot. But i wouldn't have it any other way. Because I have a beautiful daughter and her father loves me and her."

"Even though I would pray to god in hopes I could remove your experiences, I can see it had made you a beautiful and confident  woman. But would you tell me one thing, are you happy with this Cesare Borgia." i smiled

"completely, Uncle I could not imagine being with any other."

"Very well, does your betrothed bring a gift."

"You mean a papal brief?" he raised a eyebrow "You shall have to meet him and see." we stood

"Which I will do shortly"

"Might I return Amara to her cradle I believe she is tired from our long journey."

"Of course, we will have you escorted to the throne room after. I have also left you a gift, I would be most happy if you would wear it tonight" I left and put Amara down kissing her temple. Then I was escorted to the throne room

"Presenting Her Royal highness Princess Natalia" I entered and I felt stunned to have the court bow to me.

"Ah, Natalia. This is my wife Queen Joan, wife this is my niece Princess Natalia" I curtsied

"Your highness" she bowed her head I then looked at Cesare and smiled

"I see you have met my betrothed" Cesare came over to stand beside me

"That I have, and the little one of yours."

"Sleeping soundly."

"Good! Good!"