Chapter 1: You must be kidding

Disclaimer: I do not own any characters or story lines associated with The Vampire Diaries, those rights belong to the CW network and the producers. 

“I’m telling you Elena I know what I saw. There’s another Petrova Doppelganger and she looks exactly like you in every single way!” Stefan said for the tenth time although Elena was still hesitant to believe the news.
Elena didn’t want to believe it.
“How do I know you’re not lying?” Elena asked. It didn't  make sense, another doppelganger just twenty years after she was turned into a vampire although to Elena it only felt like two. Elena was the last of her blood line . . . Wasn’t she? Not to mention there was still another 480 years before another doppelganger was meant to be born.
“Why would I lie to you Elena?”
“I don’t know Stefan but how can that even be possible?” Elena sat on the edge of her bed and ran her hands through her straight dark hair; it was too much. Elena was finally starting to enjoy her new life and now Stefan was dropping a huge bomb into her lap.
Typical! Elena rolled her eyes at the thought.
“It turns out your mother Isobel had an illegitimate half-sister.” Stefan replied matter-of-factly.
“How do you know that? I didn’t even know that?”
“I saw her a few days ago and I started digging around; looking for answers.”
“You’ve known for a few days?” Elena raised her voice in irritation. A few days and he is only telling me now? Elena silently seethed to herself.
“I knew you would have questions and I wanted to have the answers besides she’s safe with me.”
“She’s not safe Stefan. She is never going to be safe!” Elena snapped as the guilt started weighing her down. The only way she would be safe was if they killed Klaus but then Damon, Stefan, Caroline, Tyler and Elena would die with him. Elena hated how selfish she was being but she couldn’t let her friends die; she just couldn’t.
“Don’t shoot the messenger Elena.” Stefan replied before he hung up the phone.
“Stefan!” Elena shouted before throwing the phone across the room which shattered on impact as it collided with the light beige wall.
“Looks like you need to kill something.” Damon smirked as he stood in the doorway.
“Did you hear the conversation?” Elena sighed as she sat back down on the edge of the bed.
“Yeah I did so what . . . You’re going to go and tell her she is a doppelganger and there’s a very old vampire who would love her blood to create more of his hybrid army?” Damon asked as he used his vampire speed and sat beside a frustrated Elena.
“I don’t know but I have to do something.” Elena looked into his blue-green eyes and they helped calm her frantic nerves instantly.
“Elena we are finally free of Klaus and all his stupid siblings; don’t drag us into their mess again haven’t you had enough already?” Damon questioned as he took Elena’s hands into his and held them tight.
“I have but I can’t just sit back and let him build more of his hybrids and kill an innocent girl. I just can’t.” Elena felt guilty for dragging Damon down with her and she knew he wasn’t going to let her leave alone.
“So you’re going to play personal body guard until she dies?” Damon asked.
“If that’s what it takes besides we have eternity remember?”
“Not if Klaus stakes you in the heart,” Damon turned bitter at the thought. He couldn’t lose Elena; he wouldn’t survive it.
“Damon trust me. I will not let Klaus hurt me or that innocent girl. I have to do this,” Elena wanted him to understand what she was going through.
Elena had experienced Klaus’s torture first hand and she couldn’t let him do it again. She felt connected to the girl and felt like they were a part of each other; unlike Katherine who Elena still hated. Katherine was still the kind of vampire to throw people under the bus if it meant her life was spared, and Elena had no doubts that if Katherine found the new doppelganger she would hand her right over to Klaus in order for immunity.
“I know you do. I’m just worried Elena. I can’t lose you.” Damon brought Elena’s hands to his lips and placed a gentle kiss on each hand. Even though Damon wanted to be travelling the world with Elena and showing her new experiences he knew it was going to have to wait.
“You won’t. We just have to stick together,” Elena smiled and tried to look confident although she hated the fact that she was more than likely going to see Klaus again and wherever Klaus went his blonde barbie sister followed.
At first Elena hated Rebekah with a passion for causing her death, and her transformation into a vampire.
“Wherever you go I go,” Damon forced a smile. He hated what they were about to do but it was the reason he loved Elena so much. She had always been selfless and caring; she made him into a better person . . . vampire. He would be nothing without her.
“I love you,” Elena smiled as her eyes took all of Damon in. He was so handsome with his dark messy hair, mischievous smile, radiant blue-green eyes and his facial structure was flawless.
“I love you too,” Damon grabbed Elena’s face in between his hands and placed a kiss on her soft perfect lips. He still couldn’t believe that Elena had chosen him over Stefan.
“Are you sure you want to do this?” Damon asked after he pulled his slender lips from Elena’s.
“I don’t have a choice.” Elena replied as she ran her thumb over his lips where her lip gloss had attached itself to him.
“Yes you do Elena; no one is going to judge you if you stay right here plus like Stefan said he’s looking out for her.”
“I know but I’m worried that Klaus will get in Stefan’s head again I can’t take that chance.”
“Okay did Stefan tell you a name or anything about her?”
“Her name is Leighton. She is twenty years old and is at the California State University and so far there is no sign of Klaus yet.”
“Let’s hope it stays that way.” Damon gave Elena a supportive smile even though he was wishing Stefan hadn’t passed on the news. In fact Damon was fighting the urge to go find Stefan and rip him apart. 
Of course Damon would never act on those desires. Stefan may be a thorn in his side even at the best of times, but he will always Damon’s brother and Damon couldn’t put an end to Stefan even if he tried.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENT... FAN… ADD TO LIBRARY... XOX