Chapter 4: Flashback: It's over isn't it?

Elena had been a vampire for three weeks, and the originals had finally left town which included Klaus who had his body back due to Bonnie’s preservation spell that kept Klaus’s body unharmed instead of burning to ashes.
Everything was meant to return to normal well semi normal but it seemed to be getting worse and not better. Elena still hated the fact that she was a vampire and that she was going to miss out on a human life with family, friends, children and grandchildren.
Elena was even keeping her distance from Jeremy. She didn’t trust herself completely and the last thing she wanted was to hurt the people she cared about. Jeremy was the only family she had left apart from her friends.
“What’s happening to us?” Stefan asked Elena as they sat side by side in the lounge room of the Salvatore boarding house. They had been sitting in silence for over an hour and Stefan couldn’t take it any longer.
Elena didn’t know how to say it; she loved Stefan so much but it wasn’t enough anymore. When Stefan was gone Elena had gotten to really know Damon and see the good person he could be, and she had fallen in love with him.
“I don’t know,” Elena shrugged her shoulders apologetically and Stefan sighed in frustration. They had finally come back together only to drift further apart and it was breaking Stefan’s heart.
He thought they were finally going to be together again for eternity until the day they died as vampires. He never thought he would lose Elena to Damon of all people . . . Vampires.
“Stop doing that Elena just stop!” Stefan begged as he fought back the tears and he was instantly reminded of the last time they broke up when Katherine came back to Mystic Falls; it ended in tears for both of them.
“I’m sorry,” Elena apologised sincerely. She didn’t mean to cause Stefan pain but things had changed. She had remembered Damon telling her he loved her and that he didn’t deserve her.
Elena was seeing a whole new side of Damon, and had been since Stefan left with Klaus to save Damon’s life.
“I know you’re sorry, but I also need to know what is happening to us? Are we even an us anymore?” Stefan asked fearing the answer. All he wanted was to be with Elena. He didn’t just love her. She was a part of him and he feared he couldn’t survive without her; that there wouldn’t be any reason to live.
“I don’t know Stefan. I don’t know how I feel anymore,” Elena replied as the kiss with Damon at the motel replayed through her mind. In the end she had chosen Stefan but now she doubted her choice.
Elena loved Stefan but she also loved Damon. She had never been so confused in her life. She had to make a decision; she couldn’t string them both along and it wasn’t fair to any of them.
“About us? It’s Damon isn’t it?” Stefan asked already knowing the answer, and he felt as if a stake had just been driven through his heart.
“I love you both so much-” Elena started.
“But you want Damon,” Stefan finished wanting Elena to object although she didn’t.
“I am so sorry Stefan. I didn’t mean for any of this to happen. I didn’t mean to fall in love with Damon,” Elena’s eyes were filling with tears which started to fall down her face.
“I know you are but that doesn’t really help,” Stefan snapped as he stood to his feet, and used his vampire speed to run out of the house. He didn’t know where he was going, but he had to get away from Elena. He didn’t want to shed tears for her let alone in front of her.

“I’m sorry,” Elena whispered as Stefan disappeared. There was a small part of her that wanted to stop him; to catch up to him and take it back, but she couldn’t because as much as it scared her she was in love with Damon. Even though Stefan was the safer choice she had to at least try with Damon otherwise knew she would live to regret it.
Please don’t do anything stupid. Elena added silently part of her was afraid he would hurt himself or worse; which was the reason Elena had held back on ending it between them. Stefan was always going to be an import part of her life and she wanted to see him happy not torturing himself.
“That was brutal,” Elena heard Damon as he suddenly appeared by the fire place.
“Please don’t smirk like that, or be happy right now,” Elena asked as she faced Damon. The guilt was almost suffocating her.
“I’m sorry Elena really. If you want to change your mind then I understand,” Damon replied. He still couldn’t believe that Elena had chosen him; she had said it was always going to be Stefan just a few weeks ago, and then just yesterday she was telling Damon that she was going to end it with Stefan to be with him.
He still believed he didn’t deserve Elena, but he couldn’t fight his feelings any longer and he didn’t just want her; he needed Elena.
“No I’ve finally made my choice Damon; you can’t get out of it now,” Elena forced a small smile although she didn’t know how she was feeling. Part of her felt like a weight had been lifted but at the same time the guilt was sitting on her chest, suffocating her.
“Don’t worry Elena,” Damon appeared by Elena’s side on the small couch; he thought he would never be able to get over Katherine until Elena came into his life. He was more than happy; he was ecstatic but he did feel sorry for Stefan and a bit guilty as well. Stefan was his brother after all.
“I don’t want out ever,” he looked into her beautiful brown eyes and ran his hand down the side of her flawless face.
“Is he ever going to forgive me . . . Us?” Elena held back the tears as she grabbed Damon’s hand and held it tight within her hands; she didn’t notice his cold skin since she was the same temperature as him.
“I don’t know; I hope with time. I think he will be fine eventually; it’s not easy losing you Elena,” Damon was heartbroken after Elena had chosen Stefan three weeks ago just before she was run off the bridge, killed and turned into a vampire.
“I just hate this so much!” Elena stared down at her hands which still held Damon’s.
Why can’t life ever be easy? I miss the days when parties, boys and cheerleading were my only concerns. I don’t like breaking hearts or losing people I care about. Elena thought silently and exhaled in frustration.
“I know you don’t deserve any of it just remember that,” Damon shifted forward and kissed Elena’s forehead. He hated that she had lost her parents, her aunt Jenna, her humanity, her teenage hood and Stefan.
“Maybe I do. I pretty much ripped out Stefan’s heart and stomped all over it Damon,” Elena snapped unintentionally.
“Stop torturing yourself Elena please,” Damon moved his hand from Elena’s grasp and held her face in between his hands.
“Stop Damon! What I did is not okay,” Elena replied and tried to move from Damon’s grasp although she failed as he held on to her face tightly.
“He will get over it with time; don’t punish yourself just don’t, you made your choice and you can always go back to Stefan, but if that’s what you want then do it now because I won’t survive if you change your mind a week from now,” Damon begged.
Elena didn’t mean to plant doubt in Damon’s mind. She had made her choice and it wasn’t going to change, but she still felt like a monster for hurting Stefan, and felt that she needed to punish herself at least for a little while.
“I want you Damon I love you,” Elena replied confidently.
“I love you too and that’s all I need to hear,” Damon smiled before he pressed his lips against hers.

THANKS for reading! Did you enjoy it?
VOTECOMMENTFAN… ADD TO LIBRARY... XOX