3

The long way home from school was always the most interesting. His mother would call it dawdling but he preferred the term "exploring." Rather that take the straightforward walk from school though town to get home, Enoch enjoyed taking the path less traveled. As the other children continued on their way passing by the shops and houses, he ventured off the pavement on a trail he blazed.

A line of towering tangled trees marked the entrance to the woods. On the other side was the more remote part of his village - small houses with thatched roofs and rolling grass fields of grazing livestock.

Although he lived closer to the main town by his parent's funeral parlor, he liked to cut through the woods and rural pastures for the fresh surroundings. It was much more interesting than passing the same shop windows day after day.

Fog slithered through the maze of trees, the humidity high on the grey afternoon. Just by stepping underneath the canopy of leaves, the temperature dropped, goosebumps prickling his arms. Enoch pulled his coat tighter around him.

It was creepy but he wasn't scared of the forest, like many of the other boys and girls in town were. In fact, he liked the chilling atmosphere. The dimness from the covered sun, the shadows that seemed to flicker, and the distant sound of trickling water caused his heart rate to pick up with a sense of thrill. Occasionally, there would be the sudden flap of wings or snap of a branch that would make him jump, but he never felt too fearful of the woods.

Along his way, he would find some  treasures every once and a while. A fallen bird here, a croaked toad there, or maybe even turned over squirrel. When he would find these rare carcasses, he would scoop up the limp body with gentle hands and place it in his school bag.

He'd started quite the collection back at home, a bundle of glass jars hidden underneath his bed. He wasn't exactly sure what he would do with them all but he felt drawn to the odd assortment.

Scanning the forest floor of dirt and mud, he looked for any new finds since the last time he had made this trek. So far, nothing. He couldn't help but feel a little bit of disappointment. It wasn't everyday he would find a dead animal but he was always hopeful.

As the light of the other side began to peek through the trees, he was ready to give up for the day. He would come back tomorrow to see if there were any changes.

Enoch emerged on the village road, across from a small white stone building. The chimney billowed with smoke, adding another grey cloud to the dull sky.

He prayed that it wouldn't start raining as he followed the road back towards his side of town. His parents wouldn't be too happy if he showed up sipping wet again. They had told him off numerous times for his walks in the woods but the pull of the forest was too great for him to obey.

Clutching on to the shoulder straps of his bag as he walked, he admired the pasture of cows across the road. The beefy beasts munched on grass, their tails swinging back and forth, swatting At flies. They paid no mind to him or the threatening clouds above. All they cared about was their meal.

While he watched the cows, something caught his attention out of the corner of his eyes. He glanced over to a grey and white lump in the middle of the road.

Curious he ran over to the mass without bothering to look both ways. It wasn't a busy road, as the surroundings were just fields and a few houses. Many of the rural villagers couldn't even afford cars.

As he approached the lump, he realized it was an animal - or at least it was at some point. What was left of the fur pelt blew slightly in the breeze. Enoch could just make out that the mangled mess had once been a badger by the white stripe down its center. Now, a tread mark ran through it, squished to death by a passing car tire.