Chapter 3: The Two of Us

Hello friends!

Hello friends!

Again, thanks for all the comments and votes! I hope you enjoy this chapter as well.

Song of the chapter is, "Do I Wanna Know," by The Arctic Monkeys.

Remember to comment and vote!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I know about Emmett Everette was that he's a class act asshole and that he has two children and a mate that were decent for the most part, according to my mother. His son apparently is younger than me, but not by much, and his daughter is not further apart from her older brother. I've never even seen Emmett before, one time I thought I caught a glimpse of him, it was the one time I entertained the idea of the line between us being full of ghosts.

"Eve Everette?"

"That's right."

"Everette?" I repeat because there can't be more Everette's in the area.

Her eyes change and part of me thinks they're more dangerous now than they were. "And you're Levi Thorne? A Thorne?"

"I'm Luca's oldest, yes," I say, caution now filling my voice.

"I know who you are," she says, a fire in her voice that makes my cheeks hot.

She opens her mouth and closes it. I step closer to her and see the way the sun has highlights some of the strands of her hair so it truly does look like a red flame. "You're his youngest aren't you?" I ask. I already know but I want her to say it.

"I am." There's no fire in her voice now, and I hate that.

"What are you doing here? Out here this far?"

"What are you doing out here this far, across our line?" The fire is back and I consider that a small victory.

My eyes are looking at her neck before they find her eyes again. Her cheeks flush, and in that moment I'm half tempted to just throw her over my shoulder. "There are deer being poached from our land, slaughtered—strangely, we followed the scent this far until I found—"

"Are they missing their heads?" she interrupts.

I blink and snap out of the trance she put me in. "Their heads?"

"And hooves?" she says.

"That and more," I tell her because I want to tell her everything in that moment. I cock my head, trying to think past the way the collar of dress slinks over so I can see her collarbone. "It's happened here, hasn't it?"

She nods. "I'm—well I was—looking into it."

"Come with me," I blurt out.

Her brows furrow, like this is a surprise to hear. "Our—my father hates everything with the name Thorne attached to it."