Chapter 2

Dawn breaks again, and Ian makes his was to his study to finish the documents from the day before. Ironically, it's not long before he hears the thumping sounds of Shayne's training outside in the courtyard that proves that his best friend has not left his mind. Opening the furthest window from Shayne's grunting, Ian lets the cool change fill the stuffy air while he finishes signing papers. Watching the sunrise fully, Ian waits until Shayne is posted outside his chambers to greet him for the day. As Ian sits staring out the window, a thought rushes to his head. "If I can't solve his problem, maybe the oracle has some insight" said a now enlightened Ian. A few minutes pass until another guard informs Ian that Shayne is ready to be posted. So Ian opens the door to once again a sweaty disheveled Shayne in armor waiting to follow Ian wherever he goes. "Good morning Shayne" said the King in an upbeat tone "Morning sir" Shayne replied. "I think I can help with your friend problem Shayne" Ian states, butting in. Shayne's eyes momentarily light up in response. "Really?" he quizzed. "Come" said the king "This morning we shall meet with the oracle Olivia, she can give us both insight on our problems that trouble us" he continued. Without question Shayne followed Ian out of the palace at the break of dawn to find the place of the oracle.

Olivia's place of residence was relatively small, but attached to it was her temple of the gods, where she connected to the spirits to enlighten those who ask her certain questions. Shayne knocked on her door multiple times before she answered with a shocked face. "We are here oracle to make two requests." instructed the Ian "We need your insight" coupled Shayne. Hastily, Olivia led the two men into the temple for their oracles. Ian stepped forth, "I request oracle, that you reveal to me the closest future conflict" Ian requested, assuming she would speak of their plan to recruit more soldiers.

As Olivia performed her usual ritual and spoke to the spirits, they watched in awe as she sat on her pedestal for what seemed like minutes but for really only a few seconds at most. She turned to the King, "There shall be a fight – a fight that you shall first win, then another will come, but the outcome is not clear to me." Ian thanked the oracle and left the room being relieved at her response, giving Shayne privacy to voice his thoughts to the oracle. Shayne found the courage to ask a simple question, "Where is my Damien Haas?" To her, his request was simple enough.

Taking his hand Olivia guides him to a shallow basin on the other side of the room. She takes the jug next to it and pours in some water, and then she places her hand inside. To his amazement, Shayne peers over into the basin and gasps. In the water below him, he sees Damien in a small village working his leather craft skills, then the image zooms outward to show a clear location – he's in the neighboring kingdom. Unfortunately, it seems that he is visited by multiple guards and who looks to be a royal figure.

Shayne makes a point of remembering their face, to solve the ever growing puzzle of where Damien has been. After thanking to oracle multiple times, he makes his into the other room where Ian was waiting. As they bid goodbye to Olivia and made their way back to the palace for breakfast, Ian can't help but ask. "So, did she help?" the King pestered "Absolutely, Damien is alive and well, still leather crafting but he must be training still, because he looks like he could even beat our finest knights" Shayne declared proudly as they entered the palace gates. "I guess we shall have to test that when we find him then" Ian stated "assuming you mean that the best is you" he continued smugly. Shayne smiled and huffed as they made their way into the palace, "Thanks for that sir" Shayne said shyly "truly, I feel more at ease now." "Wonderful" replied Ian "so let's get today's audiences underway then."

The morning passed in a flourish, with very few audiences held, they finished early, and went to seek council with strategist Boze on how her plan was formulating. On their way to her study, Ian wanted to enlighten Shayne about their plan. "Because the oracle said the battle would be won, that means we shall have new recruits in the barracks" he said proudly "Yes, but she also said there would be another, with an uncertain outcome" Shayne replied cautiously. "I'm sure she means the eventual duel between you and this Damien you are friends with – maybe you will equal each other" Ian said in spontaneity to lighten the mood.