The Good, the Bad, and the Lovely

Frankie and his pals stood at his locker as the morning rush of high school students buzzed past every which way.

"Heard the carnival's already setting up for tonight," Frankie said, raising his voice over the low roar.

"First thing I'm getting," Beef said, gnawing on a king-sized Snickers bar, "fried dough."

"Oh, not broccoli?" Sam asked, feigning surprise. Then she grinned and slugged him in the shoulder good. "Just joking, Beefster."

Bookworm squinted over Frankie's shoulder. Sashaying up the hall behind Frankie was a pretty girl with long blonde hair. "Hey, lover boy, here comes Jenny Moran," Bookworm said.

Frankie's eyes grew wide, and he spun to gaze upon his dream girl as she slowly approached. As Jenny drew near, she flashed Frankie a sweet smile and said, "Hey, Frankie."

"Hey, Jenny," Frankie finally replied, entranced by her beauty.

She stopped at her locker, right next to his, retrieved a book, and then put her hand on Frankie's shoulder. "See you in home-ec," she said sweetly.

"Yeah, yeah, home-ec," replied Frankie.

As Jenny departed, Frankie slowly turned, never losing sight of her. He stared after her in wonderment as she faded down the hall.

"Same dumb-ass stare, as the day you met her at tee ball. Make a move already, Casanova." Bookworm said, patting Frankie on the back.

Meanwhile, strutting like a gorilla down the center of the hall behind Frankie was the orange-haired thug, Brick McDuddy. He sported a stiff flattop, was bigger than everybody else in the whole school, and, as usual, was flanked by his two lackeys, Harold "The Horrible" Dunson and Billy "Scat" Pile. A scrawny timid kid, teased by many, Melvin Oppenheimer, became so nervous as the goons approached that he dropped his books right in their path. In keeping with their nasty reputation, the menacing trio kicked the books every which way just before Brick shoved Melvin into a locker. "Move it, Dorkenheimer," he shouted.

Frankie didn't even notice any of the commotion taking place just a few yards from his back. He was still facing the other way straining to catch the final glimpses of Jenny before she disappeared into a classroom. Beef and Sam on the other hand were fully aware of the impending danger. They anxiously tried to alert Frankie, but it was too late. Wham! Brick slammed Frankie face first into the locker.

"Say the magic word, Franny," Brick said, cranking Frankie's arm behind his back.

Frankie grimaced and groaned with his cheek smooshed against the locker.

"Ow! Uncle! Uncle!"

Brick gave Frankie's arm one last torque and let him go with a smug warning, "Don't forget it, Franny!"

Frankie winced as he shook off the pain and embarrassment.

He looked at his pals and tossed his head in disgust. "I'm really getting sick of that."

Third period was home-ec. Beef liked home-ec because he could snitch food the entire period without having to break into his personal stash to fuel his limitless appetite. Sam liked it because she found it the perfect venue for pulling off pranks. Frankie, on the other hand, loved home-ec because his lab partner was—you guessed it—Jenny Moran. As they stood side by side at their two-person workstation, not even Brick McDuddy could steal Frankie's attention away from Jenny. They were in the second from last row, apron clad, and working hard on a chocolate mousse pie. Jenny pressed a graham cracker crust into a pie pan and watched Frankie as he rapidly whisked the mousse to thicken it.