I made it home

Castiel is human during the flashback!

It's been almost two years since Cas died. Almost two years since I've gotten a proper nights rest. The memory keeps coming back in my nightmares, the moment he slipped away.

*flashback*

"Cas! Where are you?!" I shouted into the abandoned warehouse, gun in hand.
"I'm over here Dean!" I heard Cas yell from further into the building, but then I heard a gun shot. That wasn't me. The next thing I know, I'm holdin Castiel's head in my lap. One hand covering the bullet wound in his stomach. My other hand running through his raven black hair that always seemed to be messy, no matter how hard he tried to keep it neat. Tears were falling from my eyes one by one.
"Dean...I'm sorry I wasn't—" he coughed blood. "Wasn't able to see our daughter" he smiled weakly as he put his hand on my left cheek. I immediately covered his hand with mine.
"No, damnit Cas. You can't leave! You said you would never leave! God damnit!" I moved his hand to my mouth and kissed it gently. Tears pouring down my face like a waterfall.
"Dean, take care of Grace..." A tear fell down to the weak smile still on his face. "I love you, Dean" his hand fell from mine as his beautiful blue eyes closed shut. And just like that, he's gone.
"Cas...Castiel...?" I shook his body slightly. "Baby, come on. Wake up...this isn't funny" I waited for him to open his eyes...he never did.

*End of flashback*

I was snapped out of my trance by a knocking on my bedroom door. It was Grace. She was 13 when Cas and I adopted her. But despite the fact that she's adopted, she has Cas's raven black hair and behavior. Her hair went to her upper back with curls at the end. She had one blue eye and one green one. She also had freckles all over her face.
"Uncle Sam told me to give this to you" She passed me a light blue envelope. It had a white stamp with wings keeping the envelope shut. The front said "To Dean Winchester", but it didn't say who it was from. I opened the envelope and read the letter. It said;

"Dear Dean,
I just wanted to let you know that I made it home. Everything is so pretty here, so white, so fresh and new. I wish you could close your eyes and see what I see too. Oh Dean, you should hear the angels sing. I once heard them playing the same song we played for our first dance. I danced along to the soft tune as if we were dancing together on the best day of my life. It was beautiful. It's so peaceful here. Maybe we can both live here someday, Sam can too. And one day, Grace will live here as well. But this isn't home, not yet. I really must go soon, I've just got to try my wings. I know you won't believe this letter is from me unless it says something only I know. So before I leave, after our wedding, we went to our "secret spot" in the forest by the pond. The stars were beautiful, and you could see all the colors of space. As we laid on the soft grass, you turned to me and said "I love you more than I've ever loved anything, even more than baby. I promise you I will be a good husband and someday a good father. I'll do everything it takes for us to live happily." Our wedding was on May 9th, 1998. I want you to go to the kitchen when your done reading this.
Forever yours
~Castiel

I can't believe what I just read. Castiel is the only one who knows that stuff. I never told anyone, not even Sammy.
"What does it say Dad?" Grace adjusted her trench coat. It looked just like her papa's. I stood up and started for the kitchen, I heard Grace follow shortly after. As I walked to the kitchen, Sam walked out of his room.
"Hey Dean" I didn't answer. I just kept walking. I knew Sam was now following me as well. I walked into the kitchen...there was someone there. But their back was turned towards the entrance. It looks like they were making something.
"Dean, your scaring us. What's goi—" Sam said putting a hand on my shoulder. The person turned around. I froze, unable to believe what I was seeing.
"Castiel?" Sam said surprised.
"Hi Sam" Cas smiled brightly. It's him. It's Cas, my Cas. I started walking towards him. Castiel was looking me in the eye as I stood before him.
"Hello Dean" Castiel spoke quietly. I couldn't stop myself, he's back. I hugged him tightly. He soon hugged me back.
"Cas, it's really you. I missed you so fucking much. You have no idea. Wait, how are you back..? You died in my arms." I pulled away from the hug.
"Well before I tried my wings, God gave me a choice. Since it wasn't my time to go, he said I could go back to you and live out a full life, but I wouldn't be human, I'd be an angel. But at a cost. I didn't even have to think about it. I was going to come back to you, to Sam, and to Grace." He gestured to each of us as he said our names. "I'm sorry it took so long".
"Sorry for interrupting this chick flick moment, but who are you?" Grace said as she tilted her head like Cas would do.
"Gracie, this is Castiel, your papa" I said moving a little so Grace could see him completely.
"I'm so sorry Grace. I wasn't here for a lot of things. But I'm here now..." Cas said softly looking at Grace.
"Wait wait, you mean to tell me, your my papa. The guy my dad fell in love with and adopted me 4 years after getting married, but died before I met you...?" Grace said, she looked mad. Castiel lowered his head.
"Yes" Castiel said nodding.
"AND NOW YOUR BACK?! BUT NOT ONLY THAT, NO. YOUR ALSO AN ANGEL?!" Grace shouted excitedly.
"Yes" Castiel raised his head to look at Grace.
"Oh my cheese balls!" Grace jumped up and down and hugged Cas. "I HAVE THE BEST FAMILY IN THE WORLD!"
"I'm glad to hear that Grace" Cas said hugging her. "I almost forgot, I made pie" Castiel said as he and Grace pulled away from the hug.
"FUCK YES!" I yelled. Cas's homemade pies are the best thing in creation!
"Language!" Cas told me sternly.
"Before we eat pie, I need to get something" I left the kitchen and brought back a trench coat. I gave it to Cas.
"You still have it? I haven't seen this in years". He put the over coat on. "Feels like the good old times" Castiel smiled.
"Now that we got that out of the way, PIE!!" I got the pie and put it on plates. I'm so happy to have my family together.