9 - Ready To Run

There was a twist in Louis' stomach when he'd walked into the cafeteria the following day with his food, his heart erratically beating for just being on his way to lunch. But, he couldn't help the way his fluttered and breathing hitched in his throat when he walked up to the table where Harry, Niall and Liam were already waiting.

Green eyes looked up as Louis made his way over, and he couldn't help the way his breath stuck in his throat or how the shadow came closer.

Harry's face broke out into a shy smile as Louis took a seat next to Liam, returning the smile with a simple quirk of his lips, even if he wanted to laugh at how ridiculous it had been that they'd kissed in his room, and now they were just gonna eat lunch without talking about it. Good. He didn't want to talk or think about how soft and gentle Harry's lips had been on is either.

He took a bite of his over-priced sandwich, feeling pairs of eyes fixate on him. Louis cautiously chewed his food, furrowing his brows at his friends.

Suddenly, he wondered for a moment if everyone knew him and Harry had kissed. He knew that it was ridiculous. Of course, they couldn't tell, but that didn't stop Louis' hyperactive brain from over-analyzing the situation. His neck prickled with the proximity of Harry's body, adrenaline flowing through him when they caught eyes briefly from across the table as he chewed. It wasn't like Niall and Liam could feel it, but he felt like the air was crackling with the heavy weight of that secret.

"Yes?" He asked, drawing out the question, blue eyes rising to meet his friends'.

"You ran out, yesterday," Liam remarked, frowning in concern and Louis nearly choked on his food. "Everything good?"

Swallowing and clearing his throat, Louis shrugged and scratched the back of his neck. "I was feeling a bit sick," he answered. "The beer didn't taste good. It tasted like plastic, or something."

"What were you drinking?" Zayn asked, taking a seat next to Liam and draping his arm over his shoulder. "There might have been too much yeast in it."

The small group went on to talk about yeast for a few minutes, and how someone at Niall's old school had tried to make their own beer by putting yeast into a carton of apple juice. As Niall vividly explained, the school had smelled like shit for days. Everyone had laughed, and when Harry's intense eyes connected with Louis', the smaller boy averted his eyes.

He knew that if he let his eyes linger for too long on Harry's face, the taller boy's red face would give them away, and they'd become the endless target of the three boys' jokes and teasing.

It was a little like being a kid all over again, Louis mused to himself. It was almost like sneaking in an extra piece of desert and eating it at midnight, or that time when he'd stolen his dad's Playboy magazine. Sure, this time there was a layer of fear and worry surrounding that secret, but there was also something exciting about it, and Louis couldn't shake off that feeling no matter how hard he tried.

"Did your date with Sophie go well?" Louis teased, smirking. "Or, did it go well? C'mon tell me how good I am."

Zayn blushed, unsuccessfully trying to conceal a bright smile. "It was fine."

"With my matchmaking skills, are you joking? It can't have been just fine!" Louis argued, elbowing Zayn's side playfully. "Please tell me that you kissed her, or held her hand."

"Fine, you got me out of the hell that is the friend zone, Lou," Zayn laughed, smirking to himself. "I did all of those, and I even gave her my expensive coat when she was cold."

"I never thought I'd see the day when Zayn Malik would lend his coat to someone," Liam rose a brow, almost letting out a giggle. "You almost broke my arm that one time when I touched it."