Chapter 2

To my surprise, I got up pretty early this morning. I'm not sure about being a lark, but I definitely blame Daynor's natural magic tricks for this feat.

Mruango had already 'warned' me about this during dinner last night, "When the Sun rises cold breezes permeate the air from multiple directions, and hundreds of birds sing for you to get up. A miraculous wonder!" I had been laughing at it,"Well if such a thing is possible, then that's the kind of alarm I would love to have."

It was true, every word of what Mruango had mentioned. The wind blew across the wheat fields and rows of apple trees that surrounded the house. Despite the sun edging over the mountains to the east, casting back shadows and colouring in the fields, the meadows looked as gratifying as ever. The birds- red, blue, white, going about their early morning business. Sailing from the branches deep in conversation of their own sort.

Just at that instance, I heard a knock at the door.

 "Back to reality" I sighed.

But the aroma hinted it wasn't that bad yet, as I spiralled down the steps. Mruango had made us some appetising breakfast. He knows I love his food and I know he loves to cook, so that works quite well for both of us. Over breakfast, I told him about the parchment I found last night hoping it would lead me to my answers.

Then Mruango said something that brought me quite a relief.

"There's this merchant called Saleo near Port Kaneno. He buys seeds from my stall in huge numbers and sells them in places all around the world. Apart from being an experienced sailor, he is a good ol' mate too. He might be able to help."

 Mruango for sure noticed the spark on my face as he finished.

 "Port Kaneno...?" I hesitated.

"A two hour walk from here. It's straight up, a little ahead of Selia." he told me, pointing towards the south east direction.

 Selia..Selia..Selia.. There was something unusual about this place. It was like I had heard it somewhere. But that wasn't my top priority, Port Kaneno was. I looked back at Mruango.

 "Then I guess I'll be leaving... "

 Before I could complete, he interrupted

 "And I'm coming with you. There's no way I'll let you go alone. "

 "There's no need, I owe so much to you anyway. I'll do fine, trust me," I reassured him.

 "Sure. I totally trust you, on the fact that you re gonna be lost without me. I'm coming with you mate."

 I couldn't argue any further, in-fact I was extremely happy to have Mruango coming along. For some reason Mruango was a little too excited about this adventure. But trust me, it's not at all exciting on my side. Not at all. Mruango and I set off with all the supplies we would need. We didn't talk much as thoughts occupied our minds. None of us knew whats going to happen next. For all we know, we might not even find Sailor Saleo.

"Robs Arms and Weaponry, opposite Sunshine Inn, Meherock"

My mind was all on it. "Hmm, Sunshine Inn? Well at least I wont miss Mruango's food, the very next minute I reach there" I smirked. All the swaying of waves told us we were there. Port Kaneno! The sun made the never-ending water to glitter.. what a sight! "But how come there is no land anywhere in sight? This added to my 'list of confusions'

 There were quite a many cargo ships at the port, whistles indicating that some of them ready to sail. On the main entrance there were custom officials indulged into some paperwork. On another end, workers were moving crates and barrels. Some of the people around us seemed to be rich traders while some seemed to be sailors and crew members. On the adjacent side there were a few shops, most of them selling alcohol. Mruango saw me eyeing at them "Pretty interesting,huh?"

Just then some crew members said something to him and returned.

"They say Saleo will be meeting us here in some time" he smiled. His smile was somehow contagious for I smiled back, finally feeling relaxed. "Its an amazing sight, Mruango. So why is it that there is no land nearby..."

 Just at that instance, a tall dark man stood in front of us. I knew it had to be Saleo, his tan clearly pointed out the immense experience at sea. I was quite impressed for he had an extremely confident way of carrying himself. "So how are we today eh Mruango? My crew mentioned you needing some help."

Mruango leaned forward to show him the parchment, "Meherock...Tell me about it."

Saleo shot him a confused glance. Mruango knew it was important to be honest and went on explaining the whole thing to him. 

Saleo looked at me, "Ah! Meherock, yes I know about Meherock. LAND OF LEGENDS.. Meherock is. Since you're thinking of going there, I have to warn, its at a decent distance from here. Also it will be  just too expensive for the ship to even enter Meherock's perimeters. The royalty there take nothing less than a thousand guths."

My face fell with disappointment. "Isn't there any other way to get there besides waterways? Why not by land?"

Both Saleo and Mruango starred down at me.

"Mate, the thing is that we are on an Island called Depreakap. That too right in the middle of the mighty ocean."

 Island! Right! Now I get the reason behind multiple cold winds blowing from all directions. And this was why I couldn't see any land beyond Port Kaneno. Before I started doubting my wits, I returned back to the unpleasant reality.

"Take me to Meherock. I have to get there no matter what... Um well, I have no resources to give but I'll do whatever you say"

 Saleo looked in disbelief, " Are you sure? Willing to do anything?"

 "YES" I shouted with utter confidence. I knew how important it was for me, to know how I had a slip from such a faraway land. It is only in Meherock that I can find this out, find who I am and find where I come from.

"Yes", I repeated myself showing much more fortitude this time.

Saleo uttered his next few words. Before he could complete, I could sense the sweat around my forehead and my lungs gasping for breath. It was like Death itself standing in front of me.

 ---------------------------------------------------------

*Thanks for reading so far. I hope you'll liked it. I'm sorry but I love cliffhangers. To know what happens next you'll have to wait for chapter 3.

Drop me a comment to let me know what you thought.