Chapter 8

I awoke to the soft rays of the sun against my rugged features, my eyes analysed the room wondering where I was; then as the day before crept into my mind, I hoisted myself up from my bed and rubbed my weary eyes.

The room was small in size and simple with one single bed enhanced with handcrafted sheets and pillowcases. The flooring was made up of wooden planks covered by a padded carpet. A pine dressing table stood in the corner with numerous books on the side. I stretched sleepily, stood up and drew back the curtains to my bedroom window.

Lee.

I felt my cheeks redden as I took in her form, she were stood amongst the field of cattle the sun highlighting her beauty. Her hair gracefully flew in the soft breeze and her smock clung to her tiny body making me even more entranced. The blades of grass around her on the field rustled gently, she picked a daisy from amid the green ocean and smelt it taking in its floral scent. I leaned against the wooden window sill and sighed gently to myself. What a beauty!

"That's not something I should be thinking about now." There were other severe things that needed a thought. I stepped away from the window and made for my desk, something about this room felt strange. It was as if i took a portal back in time to when I were a young boy. Memories swirled of my mother kissing me goodnight and singing my favorite lullaby- 'Shades of Manhouzie'

There were a number of games we would play, one being 'Tressure Trails'

I remembered how my mother would leave me clues and I would solve them to grab the treasure. The reward would generally be a piece of paper with a number on it. She always asked me to keep them in order as it would lead to a greater reward someday. I still wonder if it actually meant to lead me somewhere.

That little boy was still me; the difference was I could act upon my desires. I picked up a book from the shelf and dusted it off. Opening the hard bound book, I felt saddened as I took in the images displayed to me.

Three boys playing together, I had drawn it. It was pretty clear who the boys were.

"Zamorak breakfast is ready!" Rovasko summoned.

I placed the book down quickly and looked towards Rovasko.

"It better be, I'm starving!"

I playfully punched Rovasko's arm and ran down some spindly stairs to the dining room. I'm not sure how I knew where to go, I guess I just followed my stomach. The aroma of fresh eggs and bacon curled around my senses making me smile as I strode into the dining room. A huge polished oak table with about six chairs around it greeted me. A vase of freshly cut flowers sat in the middle of it and two plates were positioned on either side of the table.

Rovasko came in from behind and seated himself opposite me, digging into the fine breakfast. I've got to admit, it wasn't as nice as diango's cooking but the saltiness of the bacon made my taste buds tingle.

"You look better." Exclaimed Rovasko looking over.

He was right. Ever since I glanced back on my childhood memories, I felt more like myself and Rovasko more my brother.

"Yes I feel it too." I added, "Can I ask you something?"

Rovasko looked up at me smiling kindly. "Yes?"

" You're a prince, Why aren't you living up in the castle with Mokif?"

Rovasko looked at his plate uncomfortably; he stabbed a piece of bacon with his fork and consumed it.

"I was angry at him for trying to kill you so I left the palace. Even if I want to return, I can't as I'm forbidden to go anywhere near the castle. He's taken up the throne for himself." He replied angrily.

I had never seen Mokif but I wanted to teach him a lesson, he sounded like a snob who when didn't get his own way throws a miniature tantrum. Rovasko started cursing Mokif saying how he's unfit to be ruler of the kingdom, and that he can't believe that he's our brother.

"Why did Mokif take a disliking to me? Why can't I remember anything?"

Rovasko shifted uncomfortably in his chair.

"I'd rather not talk about the whole event, and you're not even ready for the answer. When they collected what was left in your body, you were so much on the brink of death I guess it made you lose your memory."

I took a moment, shifting back my attention at Mokif

"I thought about everything and I was wondering, why don't we get a closer look at him, get to know what he is upto these days?"

Rovasko smiled and stood up, ready for teleportation,

"Sounds like a plan."

The palace loomed before us making us feel like insignificant ants, its structure comprised of shining marble and stained windows showing images of the sun. Huge golden wrought gates greeted us with burly guards on either side. Hiding amid some bushes we watched them and came up with a strategy.

Rovasko drew out his gleaming golden dagger and handed me a huge shining polished sword with a razor edge. Each of the guards adorned in shining tough armour, held a huge adamant spear. They swept a gaze across the area taking in all possible threats that could upset the reign of their master.

"Zamorak, this turned out to be a wise decision. Spying on him will make us aware of his flaws and unmask his true nature."

I looked at him, his eyes clearly gestured that it were time to take out the guards. 

We ran out stealthily, knowing the roles each of us have to play. I came from the back of the first guard and groped him through with my sword. The guard collapsed upon his knees and hit gravelled floor. I heard the clashes of metal upon metal as my brother ferociously cut the guard's throat, drowned in his own life-force.

"That could of gone cleaner...but where's the fun in that?" Rovasko laughed darkly.

I chuckled and took some keys off the guard's belt, unlocked the gate rapidly and pushed them open walking into my ancestry.

With a blood stained sword and set of daggers we ventured further into the palace grounds, walking furtively like graceful lions. We pressed ourselves tightly against the marble walls in silence, watching guards march past dragging a prisoner from some trap doors leading from an dungeon.

"This way.." Whispered Rovasko and beckoned me to follow him.

A path guided us to some gardens on our right and for some reason Rovasko was leading me to them. The hedges were pruned to perfection and some cut into figures with swords. Statues of mythical creatures dancing monstrously stood at a distance; leading the way.

I asked no questions as I followed him, trusting Rovasko with my life. My lips curled up into a smile at that thought.

Soon enough we heard rough voices that cut into my body, Rovasko made me kneel and peer through a hole in the wall.

Mokif were lain upon a golden chair being fed grapes like a Roman emperor, smiling smugly in satisfaction as juice flowed down from his pale lips. He had auburn hair that glistened in the light of the sun, bronze skin like the Pharaohs of Egypt and eyes like that of an eagle. As soon as I saw him, anger flowed like lava throughout my body. I heard voices in my head saying "REVENGE" over and over again.

As if hearing these whispers, Rovasko placed a hand roughly on my back and stared down at me.

"If that's what you want dear brother, Not yet...Not yet..."