» 09 «

» can't even believe that we're only 9 chapters in. i feel like this story's progressed so much in these chapters. XD do you feel like that too? «

••

Gunner looked like he was about to intervene and say something but Lamees raised her eyes to his mother and met the older woman's gaze. "He was drinking because of me," she repeated. "Because... I refused to-"

"We had a fight," Gunner interrupted but Lamees was done hiding things. If this woman wanted the truth, she was going to give it to her, even if she currently felt like she could melt in shame and embarrassment.

"I refused to get an abortion."

The stunned silence that followed was a very uncomfortable one but Lamees refused to back down now as she continued to stare into the woman's eyes, that had widened at her unexpected revelation.

Then his mother turned swiftly to Gunner, fixing him with an accused stare. "Gunner, is this true?"

He could see the what his mother was thinking and he shook his head, glancing at Lamees. "It's not mine, Mum," he murmured, his voice solemn.

"What?"

Lamees's cheeks burned as she cleared her throat to explain. "It's... I was raped," she said simply, no longer able to meet her gaze as the humiliation and regret engulfed her.

There was silence in the room again as Gunner's mother put all the pieces together and understood what was going on. Her eyes moved from Lamees to her son and they softened slightly as she looked towards Lamees again. "When did this happen?" She inquired in a soft voice that threw both Lamees and Gunner off and they stared at her dumbfounded for a second.

"A few days before... Gunner was arrested."

His mother didn't say anything else but continued to study her closely, as if she were seeing her for the first time in a new light.

"Have you told the authorities?"

This time Gunner answered for her. "No. That would require it all being public and Lamees - we don't want that."

She turned to her son. "But without informing the authorities, this person may never be caught. And further more, we could use this information as leverage for you."

Lamees frowned as his mother continued.

"If we simply told the authorities the real reason for your actions, and she testifies to it, your sentence could be reduced or even dropped completely with a small fine for the damages you caused."

Lamees couldn't believe what this woman was suggesting. Not only did she mean to expose this information to the public, she also wanted to be able to use it to her advantage. Something that was an endless source of shame for Lamees. This woman meant to use her grief, her pain as a "leverage".

Apparently Gunner happened to be thinking just the same thing as her, because when he spoke, his voice was strained with disgust. "You're going to use her?"

His mother waved a careless hand in his face and clicked her tongue at his obvious disapproval. "Not use her, but use the information. And besides, wouldn't you want the guy to be caught?"

"Yeah, but exposing information to the public isn't going to guarantee that he will get caught."

"But you will have a chance of getting out of here!"

Gunner started protesting but his mother pressed on. "We could get a good lawyer to represent you and to ensure that the entire court sympathises with you because of your situation."

"I won't do it."

The older woman pressed her lips together, looking disappointedly at him. "Fine," she said after a while, her voice firm. "If you won't, then she will."

Gunner looked at Lamees and she stared back at him. He immediately started shaking his head. "Lamees, no. You don't have to do anything for me. You weren't at fault so don't."

"He's gonna be here for another couple of months," his mother boomed in a louder voice. "Are you sure you don't want to try your best to get him out? You and I both know that he doesn't deserve to be here."

Gunner stood up from his chair and pressed his palm against the glass. "Listen to me. Lamees, don't do it. I know you don't want to."

"He's only trying to protect you," his mother's voice dropped to a whisper and she stepped in front of Lamees, blocking Gunner from her view. She looked up into those familiar green eyes. They were so much like the eyes she had spent months looking back into. "It's your turn to do the same for him. Save him from this hell hole. You can get him out."

Gunner had started knocking onto the glass insistently. "Don't listen to her! Lamees!" His voice sounded panicked and hearing it, made Lamees's heart clench. Even now, he was trying to protect her. Even behind bars. Her Gunner.

A silent tear escaped down her cheek and seeing that, there was a satisfied glint in Gunner's mother's eyes. She smiled a little at her. "It's up to you," she said. "Save him or leave him here to rot for more months."

And with that, she stepped away from her and walked out of the room, closing the door behind her.

"Hey, look at me," Gunner's gentle voice beckoned and she did, unable to stop the tears that kept coming.

"Come here," he whispered, his hand still on the glass. She took slow steps towards him, her eyes never wavering from his and when she reached him, she closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against the cool glass. She sighed, an ache in her chest.

"Hi," he said and despite the thick glass separating them, she still felt his presence, felt his warmth, felt him. She didn't have to open her eyes to know that he too, was leaning his forehead against hers.

"Hi," she responded, wanting desperately to touch him.

"I missed you," he said and her flow of tears increased.

"I miss you."

"I know, I know Lamees," he responded soothingly.

They stood like that for a few more seconds before the guard came in and found them like that. "Um, excuse me miss? I'm afraid that it's time to leave."