Chapter 2: She's Nobody

Rashad

"A few of us are going to head over to Crave for drinks. You want to come?" My co-worker, Bradford Hampton, asked me while standing in the doorway of my office. I looked at the framed picture of my wife Joy, and our two daughters, Aylen and Kiana that sat on the corner of my desk.

"Maybe another day," I told him. "We've got plans tonight," I informed him.

"When I get married, I hope I'm still into my wife the way you're into yours," he said. "All the other married men around here either work late to avoid going home or are cheating on their wives. None of them seem happy," he went on. His last statement stung because technically that was me, except I was happy in my marriage. I also did a better job of keeping my flaws from everyone I worked with.

"When you find the one you can't live without, you'll understand." I said, the guilt of my indiscretion eating at me. I felt like a fraud.

"Naw, I don't see that for at least another ten years." He chuckled. "Alright, happily married man. See you next week."

"Be safe out there." I said as he walked on.

A few more colleagues popped their heads inside of my office, needing me to help them with things and I tried to swiftly handle each issue. As a Cyber Security Analyst, even when we were off, we were technically still at work because there was always some new computer virus, threat or malicious attack that needed resolving right away.

I checked my watch and saw that it was a little after five. If I was going to make it in time to pick up our girls from daycare, I had to leave right then. I logged off all four of my computers and gathered my things. Since Joy had walked out, I had been playing double duty and doing everything by myself. I wasn't sure how much longer I could, though.

Once I reached my metallic gray Jeep Grand Cherokee, I rushed inside. I then sped through traffic until I reached their daycare with only seven minutes to spare.

"Mr. Richards," the older woman who reminded me of my mother said with a welcoming smile. "How are you today?"

"I'm doing good, Ms. Hammond. How about you?" I returned while swiping my card to verify my identity.

"I am blessed and highly favored." She said proudly.

"Amen to that," I replied.

"Daddy!" I heard both Aylen and Kiana squeal before I saw them running towards me. They were still not used to me being the one to pick them up, so this was exciting for them. I lifted them both up, securing one girl in each arm.

"Daddy's girls," I sang as I rained both of them with kisses. "Thank you, Ms. Hammond. I'll see you next week." I said while walking towards the door.

"You make sure to tell that beautiful wife of yours that I miss seeing her face around here." She returned.

"I will," I said with confidence even though I felt everything but that inside. It had been three days since Joy had called me and semi-agreed to work things out. I hadn't heard from her since, and I had no right to pressure her either. She made sure to call the girls each night and would read them a story before bed, outside of that, she said nothing to me.

"Will mommy be home tonight?" Our four-year-old daughter, Aylen asked me as I strapped our two-year-old, Kiana into her car seat.

"I'll have to call her and see," I told her once I ensured that both girls were secure in the back seat.

"I want mommy." Kiana pouted.

"I want mommy, too," I said trying to hide the sadness from my voice. "Sometimes, mommies need a vacation."