7.) Hidden Dreams

"Stars hide your fires,
let not light see dark
and deep desires." -Macbeth

Rewritten

A small but evident hum accompanied the truck as it picked up speed from its earlier stalled state. After the two males had discussed the events that led to Taehyung flying out his window and Jimin sneaking out of his own home to pull a spontaneous run away, the pink cotton candy-haired male cried out in pain at suddenly slamming on his brakes. He took a couple of minutes muttering apologies and caressing his dashboard while Taehyung sat next to him bemused at the sight. It took the green-fringed male slapping him harshly on the knee to get the boy to stop fussing over his perfectly fine vehicle.

The nicely polished sidewalks, perfectly trimmed grass, and almost sparkling houses slowly regressed into the scenery that accompanied the streets lower class. There was a running joke about this part of town that circulated within the walls of the private schools and high society inner circles. The joke referred to this part of town as the "wild". Comparing the inhabitants to savage animals who wouldn't hesitate to attack you simply because they are jealous of their overflowing wealth. As with most things, the name came from a rumor that turned out to be both false and dramatized by an attention seeking wannabe socialite.

Everyone still used the term though, and Jimin and Taehyung were both guilty of doing the same out of peer pressure. They quickly felt ashamed and vowed to never use that term ever again or they have to shave their eyebrows off. Neither enjoyed the idea of having no eyebrows and it effectively kept them from falling to peer pressure again. Granted, it did come with a price of losing some people they considered close friends.

Jimin's grip on the steering wheel began to loosen as his eyelids grew heavy. They had only been driving for about twenty minutes but it was pushing near one in the morning and despite being high school teenagers, neither were conditioned to stay up past twelve. That is unless they are fully engaged in some drama that they have pulled up on their phone to keep their strict parents from hearing.

"Hey Tae, I desperately need some sleep," Jimin skillfully removed one hand from the steering wheel to swipe at his drowsy eyes. Their efforts at running away would go to waste if he were to just crash his car. Not to mention the lack of a will to live that would come with wrecking his precious baby.

"We can't just stop here," the other male simply stated back as he gestured to the surrounding. Crumbled papers from what looked like a missing dog poster rolled past the weed patched sidewalks.

"Dude we agreed that we wouldn't let stupid rumors and prejudice influence our opinion on this side of town," Jimin gave the male next to him a sideways glance as he slowed the car down to give them time to think but still allow them to inch towards the outskirts of town and past the crappy excuse of a wall.

Taehyung quickly shook his head in dismissal, "I meant because of cannibals, dummy. Just because there is some resemblance of a wall encircling the city, it doesn't mean that cannibals can't get in," Taehyung shuddered. "That much was made clear from what took place in my garage."

"Well we need to find somewhere to stop because if I doze off then cannibals will be the least of our concerns and seeing as you can't drive we have very limited options."

"What about there," Taehyung pointed at a dingy highschool that could barely be made out from their spot in the road. "It might even have food."

"Tae! That looks like something straight out of a horror movie. What if it is booby trapped or full of thugs or infested with self-aware cannibals!" Jimin shrieks out.

"And you yelled at me for listening to rumors, hypocrite," Taehyung grumbled under his breath to keep from starting a pointless argument. "If there are booby traps or whatever your paranoid brain has thought up, then that means people are in there who are seeking protection."

Jimin said nothing as he considered the logic that came out of his friend's mouth. Turning a highschool into a basecamp in times of an apocalypse was the basis of every post apocalyptic movie plot that plays on TV. It would be more shocking for the building to be void of people then not and people who are also wanting to ditch town could be helpful. They literally had no plans outside of getting as far away from home as possible without dying to starvation, thrist, and cannibals. So meeting others with a similar or more thought out goal could do them a very much needed amount of good.

"Fine, but if we die I'm making the afterlife absolutely miserable for you," Jimin sped up before clicking on his turn signal and pulling into a parking space in front of the highschool. It was a common known fact that the schools in the less wealthy areas had canceled all schooling after the break out of cannibals. Adults didn't want to pay money to have their kid educated if the next day they could all either get eaten or turned into a brainless human flesh munching monster.

The two boys cautiously made their way through the dark towards where they believed the front doors of the school were located. They huddled closer when they began hearing noises from the same front doors they were walking towards. Taehyung wasn't as much scared as he was wary of the voices and he had to clamp his right hand to his mouth to stifle a laugh from breaking out at the fear radiating off his shorter friend.

Taehyung's muted laughter was halted when a blinding light suddenly overtook his vision. Though he almost snorted when Jimin let out a high pitched scream at his new found blindness.

Once their eyes adjusted to the yellow glow, they could make out two shadowy figures silently arguing with each other.

"What brings you to our turf? Are you some cannibals searching for a snack?" The bulkier figure had a raspy voice that shook Jimin's already fear stricken heart to the core. The unknown person quickly pulled something out of his pants pocket that looked eerily similar to the silhouette of a pocket knife.

"You idiot! What did I say about threatening people with that thing?" The slightly smaller male smacked the first guy on the back of the head. "If they were cannibals I doubt they would answer back, they'd probably just lunge at us."

"Yeah we're definitely not interested in your flesh... wait! Hoseok is that you?" Jimin finally broke out of his spell of terror when recognition of the voice flashed through his mind. He had heard this voice nearly everyday until a few months ago when the owner had stopped showing up to school. Jimin always thought his decision was smart, going to school in the middle of a cannibal apocalypse is not very wise.

"Oh my gosh, Jimin!" Hoseok excitedly squeaks out in delighted shock as he develops the two unsuspecting males into a bone crushing hug. His striking orange hair and lanky dancer built body became visible after he stepped into the ring of light emitted from the flashlight in the still unknown male's hand. "Namjoon, turn that thing off! It's blinding."

"Right sorry," Namjoon slipped his pocket knife back into his pocket before switching his metallic flashlight off, causing the darkness to engulf the group. The chill of the night ruffled the boys' necks causing the hair to stand up.

"I suggest we move in doors where it's both warmer and safer," Hoseok breaks away from the two breathless boys and settles on holding their hands instead of nearly killing them with his loving hug. The orange haired was famously known for his love of affection and it warmed the two other male's hearts to see that a cannibal infestation didn't change that fact.

Taehyung and Jimin let the orange headed male drag them through the door being held open from the guy they just learned was Namjoon. The darkness kept them from making out any of the strangers' physical features, but they had more than enough time to figure that out later.

A new sense of determination began to swell in Taehyung's heart. He might be able to convince Hoseok and whoever was accompanied with him to join in their journey out of the city. If the green fringed male didn't have a will to live before, then he definitely felt like living now.