chapter eight

The next morning it was unfortunately back to reality from a wild night of hanging out with a musician. Niall was actually pretty excited to come into work and see Debbie again, it has only been a weekend but it felt like forever since the last time he saw her. As he walked into the bakery before it was open he spots a raven haired boy behind the counter and is immediately confused, who was this stranger and why was he in the store before it was opening. Feeling his anxiety his rise he yells for Debbie.

"Oh Niall dear no need to be alarmed, that's just Zayn, remember me telling you about possibly hiring someone else to get some extra help around the store and relieve some the pressure off you? Well he started working here this Saturday."

Zayn looks at Niall amused that he had freaked out that way he had and Niall realizes this is the first impression Zayn got of him and it wasn't necessarily a good one. He awkwardly waves to the other boy and quickly goes behind the counter heading towards the kitchen to start baking away, it's the one thing that can get him to relax.

He can hear Debbie and Zayn giggling to themselves and is glad at least they found it funny. After an hour of mixing ingredients and popping the second batch into the oven Zayn calls to him.

"Hey- do you mind helping me out a bit... This is only my second time working the register and it seems to be stuck."

"Yeah no problem! It does that sometimes." Niall says walking towards the front, he comes and hits the register and it springs open.

Laughing, Zayn says " That's one way to do it."

"Yeah- sometimes you just have to be rough with it" He says giving Zayn a shy smile.

"So- what do you think about working here so far?"

"It's pretty great- Debbie is pretty amazing and the customers are really nice."

"I'm glad, and yeah Debbie is the best, couldn't ask for a better boss if I'm honestly, but hey if you ever need anymore help or have a question feel free to find me" and with that the boys parted ways, Niall to continue baking alongside Debbie and Zayn to flip the sign to open and begin serving the flood of their morning regulars. People can't seem to live without their coffee and bakery goods.

A couple of hours flew by pretty quickly as they are a bit busier than normal, everyone preoccupied with their tasks. As they finally get a moment to breath after their third rush of the day Debbie approaches Niall.

"So, what do you think about Zayn?"

"He seems pretty great, he learns quickly which is really nice."

"Yeah- I've known his mother for a while now and he needed a job and we happened to have an opening. I hope you guys are able to become friends" she says with a wink and somehow Niall understands what she means. Debbie is always trying to set Niall up with any cute guy she knows, he thinks she just wants him to be happy again.

"Thanks Debbie, I appreciate it but I'm not sure about dating a coworker, it's way too messy."

"Niall, you know I just want you to be happy right? No matter what that looks like or who its with." And with that she pulls him into a hug.

"Uh I don't mean to interrupt but I need a little help up front."

"Niall- why don't you go and help the boy out?"

Niall laughs as he walks back to the front. The front is busy and can see why Zayn would need help. Niall is so happy that the bakery has finally been picking up business. The last few month have been tight, tight enough that they couldn't even afford another person working there. He's glad he is seeing all of Debbie's hard work pay off.